Italy calls for top softballer

Al's Fastball News fastball at pmihrm.com
Wed Jan 14 11:20:09 EST 2009

SOFTBALL star Melinda Weaver is polishing up on her Italian after
being signed by one of Europe’s top professional clubs.
In a move the 2008 Caboolture Shire Sportsperson of the Year
never dreamed possible, she will fly to Italy in March to join
Mosca Macerata.
The giant club plays in the Italian Professional Softball League
Division 1 where players can earn a decent living in one of the
toughest softball competitions in the world.
It is an opportunity Weaver, 20, admits she would never have
had if she stayed in Australia, which is still reeling from softball’s
axing from the London Olympics in 2012.
``It doesn’t happen in Australia. Going overseas is something
I’ve always wanted to do, but I just never thought I’d get the
opportunity,’’ she said.
``Especially now funding has been cut before the next Olympics,
we’re not even close (to a professional league in Australia).
Our competition’s good, but there’s no money to sustain what
we’ve got.
``No doubt the game has (stagnated) and that’s why we’re trying
to push toward expanding the game in Australia and overseas.
It’s just difficult at the moment.’’
Weaver will be made to feel at home at Macerata alongside two
former Australian Spirit stalwarts, catcher Kym Tollenaere and
pitcher Jocelyn McCallum.
Tollenaere alerted the Italians to Weaver’s talents.
The Aussie trio make up Macerata’s three allocated imports for
the six-month Italian regular season which starts in April.
Before then, Weaver will continue leading Queensland’s tilt at
winning the Gilley’s Shield, which has replaced the old Australian
Fastpitch Championships.
Queensland sits top of the table heading into Round 3 starting
on Thursday.

http://www.facebook.com/ext/share.php?sid=54936932812&h=_DHEb&u=_8OYc

   fastball at pmihrm.com