Durham College student-athlete taking part in the Olympic Torch Relay

Al's Fastball News fastball at pmihrm.com
Thu Nov 12 13:39:17 EST 2009

DurhamLords Media Release
Thursday, November 12, 2009

Durham College student-athlete taking part in the Olympic Torch
Relay

OSHAWA, Ont. - The Olympic Torch Relay will inspire and engage
Canadiansfrom coast to coast as it travels along the path of
northern lights towards theVancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games.
Taking part in that journey will be DurhamCollege student-athlete
Mandi Doris (Ajax, Ont.), who will have a once in alifetime experience
participating in the torch relay.

"It is a great honour to be selected to carry the Olympic torch
and I amreally looking forward to it," said Doris. "It is defiantly
a once ina lifetime experience and one that I will remember forever."

The big day for Doris is on Wednesday, December 16, 2009. She
will be carryingthe torch for approximately 300 metres along
Edward St. in Newcastle, Ont. at2:20 p.m. in front of friends,
family and other proud Canadians getting achance to look at the
Olympic flame.

As a member of the Durham College women's volleyball team, Doris
has facedplenty of pressure filled situations in big matches
over her five year career,and knows the torch relay will be similar
to playing on the court.

"I am pretty calm about the situation right now but I am sure
the nerveswill kick in as the day approaches," said Doris. "My
family waspretty excited when we heard I would be taking part.
My mom has been tellingeveryone she knows!"

This year's Olympic Torch Relay is the longest in history, stretching
over1,000 communities across Canada. The relay began on October
30, 2009 and willfinish at the Opening Ceremony, marking the
official start of the Vancouver2010 Olympic Winter Games on February
12, 2010.

When asked to nominate a student-athlete for the Olympic torch
relay and to representDurham College, athletic director Ken Babcock
had no doubt that Doris was theperfect choice.

"This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to be chosen to carry
theOlympic torch," said Babcock. "She is a true leader, an outstandingperson,
and a role model student-athlete here at Durham College both
on and offthe court. I couldn't think of anyone more deserving
to carry out this hugehonour. I am also excited that Durham was
asked to be included in the 2010Olympic torch run."

Doris is not the only Durham Lord involved with the torch relay,
as formerwomen's fastball player Kailey Miller will also be taking
part in the run.Miller will be running on December 18th, 2009
in Newmarket, Ont.

Visit http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic-torch-relay/for all
of the details on the Olympic torch relay.

- 30 -

FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Scott Dennis
Sports Information and Marketing Coordinator
Durham College and UOIT Athletics
905.721.2000 Ext. 2784
scott.dennis at dc-uoit.ca

www..durhamlords.com -www.uoitridgebacks.com