Former voice of the Durham Lords and UOIT graduate hosting TSN’s SportsCentre

Al's Fastball News fastball at pmihrm.com
Mon Dec 14 14:09:10 EST 2009

Durham Lords/UOIT Ridgebacks Media Release
Monday, December 14, 2009

Former voice of the Durham Lords and UOIT graduate hosting TSN’s
SportsCentre

OSHAWA, Ont. – Former “Voice of the Lords” Kate Beirness made
her debut as the newest anchor on SportsCentre this weekend,
TSN's flagship news and information show. Beirness spent two
seasons as the PA Announcer and a member of the radio broadcast
team and for the Durham College athletic department.

“We are very proud of Kate and what she has accomplished in such
a short amount of time,” said Ken Babcock, Durham College and
UOIT athletic director. “The first time I met Kate, I knew she
was going to go places! She will be a great addition to the TSN
all-star lineup and I am sure she will enjoy a long career in
the broadcast industry.”

Beirness, a graduate of the University of Ontario Institute of
Technology (UOIT) commerce program, spent two seasons as the
voice of the Lords (PA announcer) and radio announcer for Durham
College varsity home game broadcasts (basketball and volleyball).
She later joined Rogers TV Durham as the sports anchor and reporter
on First Local news.

As a member of the Durham College broadcast team, Beirness had
the opportunity to call a number of high profile events including
the 2007 Ontario Colleges Athletic Association (OCAA) men’s basketball
provincial championship, the 2006 and 2007 OCAA Basketball all-star
games as well as all of the Lords basketball and volleyball home
games. She was the first ever female Voice of the Lords.

The Lords broadcast crew was recognized in two consecutive years,
winning the OCAA Outstanding Media Award for Ontario college
sports broadcasting coverage.

Prior to joining the SportsCentre lineup, Beirness worked at
the network’s sister station, A-Channel Barrie, where she was
the sports anchor and videographer.

The Durham College and UOIT athletic department would like to
congratulate Kate on her success and wish her the best of luck
with TSN’s SportCentre.

- 30 -

FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Scott Dennis
Sports Information and Marketing Coordinator
Durham College and UOIT Athletics
905.721.2000 Ext. 2784 (P)
905.721.3117 (F)
scott.dennis(at)dc-uoit.ca