YUKON GETS 2012 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP (Junior Women)

Al's Fastball News fastball at pmihrm.com
Wed Jan 6 13:04:39 EST 2010

YUKON GETS 2012 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

Unique locale will host top women’s international softball event

PLANT CITY, FLORIDA (USA) -- Whitehorse, Yukon, will host the
International Softball Federation XIII Women’s World Championship
in 2012, it was announced today.  ISF President Don Porter said
that a solid bid from the host and a successful track record
made it the right choice for the marquee fast pitch event.

“Whitehorse will do a terrific job hosting our women’s world
championship in 2012,” the ISF president said.  “They proved
as much when they organized our junior men’s world championship
in 2008.  Plus the community’s support for softball and their
proven ability as a site for large sporting and cultural events
assures us that our teams, the fans, and the media will all have
a good experience that summer.”

The unique location brings with it over 20 hours of daylight,
which allows for softball games – on unlit fields – well into
the evening hours.  The playing facilities in Whitehorse have
multiple fields, which will allow the organizers to meet what
is generally a ten-day, 60-plus games schedule.

“Softball Yukon and Softball Canada are pleased to again be able
to host the world,” said George Arcand, Executive Director of
Softball Yukon and the Chair of the Organizing Committee for
the 2012 World Championship.  “After hosting a successful and
exciting junior men's world championship in 2008, we are honored
to host the 2012 women's world championship in Whitehorse.  We
look forward to working with the ISF to make this an unforgettable
experience for our local community, fans from all over the world,
and all participating teams.”

The event in Whitehorse will come just two years after the XII
Women’s World Championship, which happens this June 23-July 2
in Venezuela.  As such, it fulfills the implementation of a two-year
rotation for ISF world championships instead of every four years.
 That change was adopted at the ISF Congress this past October.
 Next year will be the final year of only one world championship
(junior women’s, December 6-17, 2011, in Cape Town, South Africa).
 2012 will also include the ISF IX Jr. Men’s World Championship
(19-and-under) in Parana, Argentina.

The women’s world championship in Whitehorse in 2012 is expected
to take place in July of that year, with exact dates currently
being finalized.

The ISF is the world governing body of the sport as recognized
by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and SportAccord
(formerly the General Association of International Sports Federations).
Softball (women's fast pitch) made its Olympic debut at the 1996
Games in Atlanta. There are 128 affiliated countries in the ISF
and millions of participants in the sport worldwide.

MEDIA: For more information, please contact ISF Director of Communications
Bruce Wawrzyniak at brucew at ISFsoftball.org, +1-813-864-0100,
or +1-813-453-8762.

   fastball at pmihrm.com