FW: NCAA STANDOUT JOINS DURHAM COLLEGE COACHING STAFF

Al's Fastball News fastball at pmihrm.com
Wed Jun 16 12:45:42 EDT 2010

NCAA STANDOUT JOINS DURHAM COLLEGE COACHING STAFF

Durham Lords Media Release
Wednesday, June 16, 2010

NCAA standout joins Durham College coaching staff

OSHAWA, Ont. - Durham College women’s fastball head coach Jim
Nemish is pleased to announce that former Canisius College women’s
fastball pitcher Mallory Aldred is joining the program as a member
of the coaching staff.

“We are very excited to welcome Mallory to Durham College,” said
Nemish. “She will be a great asset to our staff focusing on pitching
along side coach Swift. Her experience, knowledge of the game
and new ideas will be a welcome addition to our team.”

Aldred, a Whitby native, attended Canisius College in Buffalo,
NY, on an athletic scholarship where she played four seasons
for the Griffins from 2006 to 2009. Aldred had a decorated career
in the NCAA, achieving several school and Division I records
under head coach Mike Rappel.

“Coach Rappel, who is considered one of the best Coaches in the
NCAA with over 25 years at Canisius, had nothing but high praise
for Mallory,” said Nemish.

The Griffins have been the top softball team in the MAAC, winning
three consecutive championships from 2007 to 2009. Aldred was
a key contributor to all of the championship winning teams as
a member of the pitching staff.

In 2008, she set the NCAA Division I record for saves in a season
with 15. She finished the year with an 8-4 record and with a
1.41 ERA, ranking her first in the MAAC in ERA. She set a program
record with 41 appearances in the circle, which also was a conference
high. At the conclusion of the season, she was named to the MAAC
All-Academic Team.

In May, 2008, Aldred was featured in Sports Illustrated’s ‘Faces
in the Crowd’ section for her accomplishments.

The following year, she was named the Griffins team captain.
In 35 appearances during her senior season, she had a 19-9 record
and posted nine shutouts, including a no-hitter. She also led
the conference in strikeouts with 180.

She is the Canisius all-time leader in career saves with 21,
and is only one of three players in NCAA Division I history to
have 20-plus career saves. She is ranked sixth at Canisius in
career appearances (105) and seventh in career shutouts (10).

Playing club fastball with the Scarborough Spirit, Aldred won
three Canadian National fastball championships titles.

It will be a big season for the Durham College women’s fastball
program as the Lords are set to host the 2010 OCAA championship
which is scheduled to take place from October 15-16.

- 30 -

FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Scott Dennis
Sports Information and Marketing Coordinator
Durham College and UOIT Athletics
905.721.2000 Ext. 2784 (P)
905.721.3117 (F)
scott.dennis(at)dc-uoit.ca