tavi news item

Al's Fastball News fastball at pmihrm.com
Thu Jul 1 19:44:12 EDT 2010

All from: http://www.alsfastball.com/index.php?page=25

ISC Announces 2011 and 2013 World Tournament Location
http://tinyurl.com/39zs8dt

Legends of Fastball Wrap Up by Larry Lynch
http://tinyurl.com/32zjb6h

This week in Fastball by Dennis Dosman
http://tinyurl.com/32b5w2l

This weekend in Fastball
http://www.alsfastball.com/index.php?page=196

July 2-4, Randall's Island, NY - Peligro Cup Men's Open Fastpitch
Tournament Teams & Poster SCHEDULE

July 1-4, Monkton, ON - Annual World Fastball Invitational -
CANCELLED FOR 2010 !!

July 2-4, Aurora, IL - Aurora Stars and Stripes Tournament, 4th
of July Weekend - ISC Qualifier Schedule

July 3-4, San Antonio, TX - Annual Glowworm Tournament

TAVISTOCK Mens Fastball Tournament Update
RELEASE IN HTML: http://tinyurl.com/36eam7e

TAVISTOCK Mens Fastball Tournament Update
Thursday, July 1, 2010
The village of Tavistock is quickly catching fastball fever as
the impending Tavistock Mens Fastball Tournament is now just
a couple short weeks away. I would like to take this opportunity
to congratulate Larry Lynch and his hard working Kitchener Fastball
Promotions staff for an outstanding 2010 Legends Tournament.
The weather held out, crowds were great, and the competition
on the field was excellent. We look forward to the 2011 version
of the Legends of Fastball Classic. Also a special congratulations
to the family of Bob "Bongo" Baird and also to George Ryder and
his family for their 2010 inductions as Legends of the game of
fastball. These two gentlemen have been fixtures in the game
for many years. George is still actively involved and I expect
will be for years to come. Tragically, "Bongo" left all of us
far too soon, but his spirit was with us in Kitchener this past
weekend and his contributions to the game will never be forgotten.

Not wanting to upstage my good friend Larry Lynch, I have held
off on our Tavistock announcements until the Legends event was
complete. Now that the 2010 Legends event is a great fastball
memory, its time to move on down the road 20 minutes west to
TAVISTOCK, ONTARIO.

Presently the field is set and we are thrilled to have the Kitchener
Rivershark Twins, Jarvis Travelers, Midland, Mich. Explorers,
Owen Sound Selects, St Thomas Union Storm and the Elmira Expos
gearing up for a big weekend in our small village. Kitchener
and Jarvis are currently mere percentage points apart in the
World Rankings and proved at Legends that these two teams will
be formidable foes throughout the season. A short staffed Midland
team had a bit of an off weekend at Legends and are expected
to come back with a vengeance in Tavistock. There is a reason
why Midland is the host team for this year's ISC World Tournament
and currently ranked #6 in the World. Expect the Explorers to
be tough in Tavi. Owen Sound comes in with a great young team
that can beat anyone on a given day. Currently ranked 15th in
the World, the future is bright for this squad as they are not
intimidated going toe to toe with any club team on the planet.
St Thomas (#34) has consistently been a force in Ontario and
International fastball events. This year's team is playing a
lighter schedule throughout the season but nobody can be fooled
by that. Tom Edie has a wealth of veteran leaders and fastball
stars at his disposal, so expect the St Thomas boys to compete
with everyone they meet in Tavistock. The Elmira Expos (#19)
may be one of the true underrated teams around. Young, but extremely
talented, the Expos are coming off a solid showing at Legends
including an extra innings loss to the Rivershark Twins and a
Sunday morning victory over the Midland Explorers. Confidence
is building with this young squad and I'm sure they will be looking
to upset the big boys again come July 16-18.

While the teams themselves are the major component of any fastball
tournament, the goal for any event hosted in Tavistock in the
past has been to encourage community involvement, provide a festive
atmosphere and create a place where everyone wants to be on a
given weekend. This year's event will be no different. The Tavistock
Athletics Bantam Boys Team will be on the grill for the entire
weekend firing up your burgers, sausage and DELICIOUS breakfast
sandwiches. The Bantam Boys are currently fundraising for their
upcoming trip to Sudbury and the Ontario Summer Games. This event
will be a big fundraiser for this group so make sure you stop
by their booth for a bite!!! Our Tavistock Athletics Junior Mens
team will be at your disposal the entire weekend slinging ice
cold beverages of the amber variety in our fully licenced beverage
tent. Our junior team is in its second consecutive year of operations
and working hard to fund raise for future events. Make sure you
all stop in for a "Cold" drink and some socializing in the tent!!

Speaking of the beer tent, nothing creates atmosphere like a
little music. On Friday night (July 16th) we are PLEASED to announce
that former 16 year veteran of the Kitchener Hallman Twins Brian
"Chubbs" Stere and renowned local musician Cory Gerber will be
plugging in for some acoustic entertainment to keep you at the
yard and enjoying your evening. If you have never had the pleasure
of listening to these two gentlemen sing and pluck the guitars,
then Friday night is a must see for you in Tavistock. Music in
the tent Saturday and Sunday as well.

In fastball presently, it should be the goal of every individual
to do what they can to keep the game alive and our youth on the
field. With this in mind, Tavistock is proud to announce that
at 4:00pm on Saturday afternoon, we will host the North Waterloo
League Bantam Boys All Star game on the Main Diamond at the Queens
Park. We expect this will be a highlight for these boys to be
involved in a Major Mens event and we encourage all of the teams
and fans to be there to support these young fastball fanatics.
Let's give them a reason to stay in the game. Kitchener and Jarvis
will clash immediately following the Bantam All Star game on
the main diamond followed by the Midland Explorers and the upstart
Elmira Expos to round out the evening. Saturday should be exciting!!

In the spirit of team work, the majority of our Tavistock Minor
Ball teams and their parents will be working the gates and 50/50
draws throughout the weekend. Dennis Dosman and his professional
crew of scorekeepers, game controllers and announcers have agreed
to spend the weekend behind the screen keeping you updated throughout
all of the games. Timmy Whitelaw has his "Blue Crew" in place.
BallparkRadio.com is planning on broadcasting playoff games on
Sunday and I still hope to work Kyle and Blair over to get them
their for the Kitchener vs Jarvis tilt Saturday and wouldn't
it be GREAT if BallparkRadio.com would consider broadcasting
the Bantam Boys All Star game Saturday at 4:00pm?? JIm, Blair,
Kyle, I know you are out there. What do you think about giving
these Bantam Boys a thrill of a lifetime and broadcasting their
match for the entire fastball world to hear?? I know you guys
are busy but it would be fantastic!! Just say'n.

As you can see, the stage is set and the preparations have been
made for a tremendous event. Everyone cross their fingers for
sunshine and great weather. We are blessed to have two terrific
facilities that can accommodate the schedule should we run into
any minor weather issues. The majority of the games will be played
at the Queens Park (adjacent the Tavistock Arena) address 1 ADAM
STREET Tavistock, ON. We will also be playing 1 game Friday,
1 game Saturday and 2 games Sunday at our Optimist Park located
on the southwest side of Tavistock on HWY #59. The two parks
are a less than a two minute drive apart and we look forward
to showcasing our complexes to the fastball community.

I suppose that a "few" people out there might also be curious
as to the schedule of games for the weekend. Well here is where
we are at with our games schedule:

GREEN DIVISION
---------------------
Kitchener
Owen Sound
St Thomas

WHITE DIVISION
---------------------
Jarvis
Midland
Elmira

FRIDAY JULY 16th
--------------------------

7:00pm Kitchener vs St Thomas QUEENS PARK

8:00pm Jarvis vs Elmira Optimist Park

9:00pm Midland vs Owen Sound QUEENS PARK

SATURDAY JULY 17
----------------------------

10:00am St Thomas vs Owen Sound QUEENS PARK

12:00 noon Jarvis vs Midland QUEENS PARK

2:00pm Kitchener vs Owen Sound QUEENS PARK

2:00pm Elmira vs St Thomas Optimist Park

4:00pm North Waterloo Bantam Boys All Star Game - QUEENS PARK

6:00pm Kitchener vs Jarvis QUEENS PARK

8:00pm Midland vs Elmira QUEENS PARK

SUNDAY JULY 18
------------------------

10:00am G2 vs W3

10:00am W2 vs G3

12:00 noon G1 vs Winner of W2 / G3

12:00 noon W1 vs Winner of G2 / W3

2:00pm FINALS QUEENS PARK

The 10:00am quarter-final games and the 12:00 noon semi-final
games will see one game at each park.

I have also recently had inquiries about camping at the park
for the tournament weekend. Trailers and RV's will be allowed
on site for the weekend.. Upon arriving at the gate, you will
be escorted to a location in the park for the weekend to ensure
that each unit is parked in a strategic location to avoid damage
to the park's grass, trees and structures. Areas of the park
outside the diamond can become quite wet pending weather conditions
so your cooperation in this regard is appreciated. Campfires
ARE NOT allowed at this facility. There will be access to 15amp
power sources throughout the park and the public washrooms will
be open for the entire weekend. There are NO WATER HOOK-UPS available
and electrical power is on a B.Y.O.E.C. (Bring Your Own Extension
Chords). We will be not charging any fees for the camp sites
but we are incurring fees to allow this to happen for the weekend
so any donations towards this cost would be greatly appreciated.
I would also ask that you email me at "davebailey at baileyconstruction.ca"
if you plan on camping for the weekend, so that we can get a
rough idea of how many camp sites will be required.

I also had an inquiry today from a very good local team regarding
entry into the tournament. My response at this point is that
we would consider additional teams but only in pairs. "IF" another
team expresses interest in still attending this event, such entry
would be strongly considered should I be made aware of it no
later than Wednesday July 7th. it was always our intention to
run 8 teams for this weekend but for various reasons, we presently
have 6 quality teams and we are prepared to move forward with
the aforementioned 6 teams UNLESS I receive firm commitment from
two more teams VERY SOON. For the sake of the game and the event,
if your team is interested, contact me immediately.

IN KEEPING in tune with the trying economic times, the gate fees
for this event will be a TRUE BARGAIN!! Weekend Passes for the
ENTIRE event will be sold for $10.00 each. One day passes including
Friday night will be sold for $5.00 each. Children 12 and under
will be admitted FREE. You just can't find this kind of entertainment
anywhere for these prices!!!

Tavistock Ontario is located 15 minutes southeast of Stratford,
20 minutes north of Woodstock and 20 minutes west of Kitchener.
For a notable point of reference, our village is 3km straight
south of highway 7&8 at Shakespeare, Ontario. Shakespeare is
located less than 10 minutes due east of Stratford. Highway #59
from Woodstock runs right through Tavistock to meet Highway 7&8
at Shakespeare. If you find the arena, you have found the QUEENS
PARK and our friendly staff of volunteers will ensure that you
don't get lost in anything but the atmosphere for the remainder
of the weekend.

SEE YOU ALL IN TAVISTOCK July 16 - 18.

Kind Regards
Dave Bailey