FW: LORDS QUALIFY FOR THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP

Al's Fastball News fastball at pmihrm.com
Wed Jul 7 22:54:30 EDT 2010

Durham Lords Media Release
Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Lords qualify for the national championship

OSHAWA, Ont. – The 14 time OCAA champion Durham College women’s
fastball team has accepted an invitation to participate in the
2010 Canadian Intercollegiate Women's Fastpitch National Championship
that will be taking place from October 7-11 in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.

“Being one of only three teams to be invited from all of the
University and College teams in Ontario to attend this year’s
National Championship is a great honour,” said Lords head coach
Jim Nemish. “After our performance in our first year at the championship
(fifth place in 2009), it is a credit to our program’s players,
coaches and the college’s support to qualify this year. I know
the players are excited as they have been working hard this offseason.”

At last year’s national championship, the Lords advanced to the
knock-out round of the championship after going 3-0 in the group
stage, but were eliminated after two straight losses in the medal
round, finishing in fifth place. Erin Dewey (Port Hope, Ont.)
and Samantha Roelofsen (Alma, Ont.) were named all-stars at the
championship.

The championship features top team’s from across the country
with a two-division round robin format, followed by a double-elimination
playoff round. Last year’s champion was McMaster, as the Marauders
defeated Western in the gold medal game.

It will be a big season for the Lords fastball program as the
college is set to host the 2010 Ontario Colleges Athletic Association
women’s fastball championship, taking place on campus from the
following week (October 15-16, 2010).

The Lords are the top team in Ontario collegiate fastball, having
won five provincial titles in the last eight years. Overall,
the Lords have won 14 Ontario titles and 26 provincial medals
since 1981.

“We hope to improve on last year’s finish by bringing home a
medal and ultimately challenge for the Championship,” said Nemish.

The 2010 version of the Lords is as strong as the team has ever
been with plenty of returning players mixed in with some stellar
new recruits. Back-to-back OCAA Player of the Year Erin Dewey,
along with her sister Erica Dewey will look to lead the Lords
charge along with league batting champion Samantha Roelofsen.

League top pitchers Kayla MacLean (Whitby, Ont.) and Janna Hagen
(Sherwood Park, Alta.) also return to the lineup as they look
to shut down their opponent’s bats.

Head coach Jim Nemish has been busy this summer, not only recruiting
players but coaches as well. NCAA record holder Mallory Aldred
joins the Lords all-star coaching staff as a pitching instructor.

The Lords training camp will open up at the end of August and
begin their season with four games on the road against the three-time
National Junior College Champion Monroe Community College of
Rochester, NY. The four game series will take place from September
11-12, 2010.

- 30 -

FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Scott Dennis
Sports Information and Marketing Coordinator
Durham College and UOIT Athletics
905.721.2000 Ext. 2784 (P)
905.721.3117 (F)
www.durhamlords.com