FW: 2010 DC WOMEN'S FASTBALL PREVIEW - FOUR TEAMS IN THREE DAYS

Al's Fastball News fastball at pmihrm.com
Fri Sep 10 11:01:45 EDT 2010

Release

Durham Lords Media Release
Friday, September 10, 2010

2010 DC Women’s Fastball Preview – Four teams in three days

OSHAWA, Ont. – Durhamlords.com is counting down the days to the
beginning of the sports season by previewing all of the fall
teams. Friday morning’s preview features the Durham College women’s
fastball team.

Coming up next: DC baseball

OVERVIEW
Jim Nemish and the Durham College women’s fastball program is
gearing up for the 2010 season with one thing on their mind:
bringing the OCAA gold medal back to Durham College. Fans of
fastball in the Durham Region will not have to travel far to
watch the eventual champion be crowned as the OCAA championship
will be taking place at Durham from October 15-16.

A LOOK BACK AT 2009
Durham finished the regular season with an 11-1 regular season
record to reclaim the OCAA regular season pennant. Following
a fifth place finish at their first trip to the national championship,
Durham earned their second consecutive OCAA silver medal at the
championship in Hamilton. The Lords also won their second consecutive
CAN-AM classic title in 2009.

RETURNING VETERANS
The Lords lineup features nine returning players from last year’s
squad. Top pitchers Kayla MacLean and Janna Hagan will be on
the mound, looking to have a repeat performance of their freshmen
seasons. 2009 league batting champion Samantha Roelofsen returns
for her third season, along with teammates Erin and Erica Dewey,
Shannon Ferguson and Jodi Lang. Bailey Corneal and Tiana Cosentino
are back for their second year.

Erin Dewey enters the 2010 campaign as the back-to-back OCAA
player of the year. She is the all-time career batting champion,
and looks to stay there with another MVP season.

KEY RECRUITS
As always, the Lords recruiting class is second to none. Nemish
added some depth at the pitchers position as Nicole McCoy, Kristine
Miles, Alexandra Mallet and Amanda Gallen join the team. Meagan
Bender, Nicole McCoy and Kristina Arboleda are freshmen positional
players.

COACHES CORNER
“We’re pretty heading into the season,” said head coach Jim Nemish.
“We have a couple of good rookies in camp that have really showed
some promise. It is a big year for the program as we host the
championship and winning gold is our ultimate goal.”

WEEKEND ROAD TRIP
The Lords will head to Rochester this weekend for an exhibition
series against Monroe Community College.

SCHEDULE
September 11-12 - Durham @ Monroe*
Tuesday, September 14 - Durham @ Seneca - 7:00 PM
Thursday, September 16 - Seneca @ Durham - 6:00 PM
Thursday, September 16 - Seneca @ Durham - 8:00 PM
Friday, September 17 - St. Clair @ Durham - 7:00 PM
Tuesday, September 21 - Durham @ Mohawk - 5:30 PM
Tuesday, September 21 - Durham @ Mohawk - 7:30 PM
Friday, September 24 - Mohawk @ Durham - 6:30 PM
September 25-26 - CAN-AM Classic - Hosted by Durham College
Saturday, October 02 - Durham @ St. Clair - 12:00 PM
Saturday, October 02 - Durham @ St. Clair - 2:00 PM
Tuesday, October 05 - Durham @ Conestoga - 4:30 PM
Thursday, October 07 - Conestoga @ Durham - 6:00 PM
Thursday, October 07 - Conestoga @ Durham - 8:00 PM
October 8-10 - National Championship (Saskatoon, SK)
October 15-16 - OCAA Championship - Hosted by Durham College

- 30 -

FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Scott Dennis
Sports Information and Marketing Coordinator
Durham College & UOIT Athletics
905.721.2000 Ext. 2784 (P)
905.721.3117 (F)
scott.dennis(at)dc-uoit.ca