Shannon Galea set to join the DC fastball program

Al's Fastball News fastball at pmihrm.com
Thu Jul 14 18:18:41 EDT 2011

Shannon

Durham Lords Media Release
Thursday, July 14, 2011

Shannon Galea set to join the DC fastball program

OSHAWA, Ont. - UOIT athlete of the Year Shannon Galea is crossing
campus lines as she is joining the Durham College women's fastball
team in 2011.

After graduating from UOIT with a bachelor of education degree,
Galea (Oshawa, Ont.) has enrolled at Durham College for the Sports
Business Management graduate certificate program.

“I am excited to be joining a program of such great caliber,
“said Galea. “I am excited for the upcoming season and the opportunities
that will further my education."

"Shannon is a hard working, dedicated individual both on the
field and in the classroom," said Durham College head coach Jim
Nemish. "We are thrilled to have Shannon as a member of our fastball
program. She will bring experience and added depth to our pitching
staff."

After spending a year rowing and playing squash at UOIT, Galea
returns to her main sport on the diamond.

In 2010, Galea played with the Kitchener Coyotes where her team
won a bronze medal at the 2010 Canadian senior women's championship.
She was named an all-star pitcher by Softball Canada.

Playing with the Cambridge Coyotes in 2009, Galea's team went
on to win the Canadian Junior National Championship, where she
threw a no-hitter against Alberta and was named the Softball
Canada Championship top-pitcher and top player.

That same year, she represented Port Perry in the senior national
championship where the Angels finished in seventh place. This
marked the fourth straight year she participated in two national
championships in the same year.

During the fall fastball season, Galea played for McMaster University.
The Marauders won the OIWFA championship in 2009 and Galea was
named the championship MVP. From 2006 to 2010, she was an OWIFA
all-star three times and the McMaster women's fastball MVP twice.

"Shannon is also capable of playing other positions and while
batting from the left side, she gives added depth there as well,"
said Nemish. "Shannon will provide leadership and experience
to this year's team as we compete for another OCAA championship
and a national championship."

In 2010-11 at UOIT, Galea earned top honours as she was named
the overall athlete of the year. She was a member of the Ridgebacks
women's novice eight crew who went on to win the first OUA medal
in UOIT's rowing program history, earning bronze at the provincial
championship. Leading up to the OUA championship, the women's
novice eight crew won gold medals at the Guelph and Brock Invitationals

Galea didn't only excel at rowing, as she became the first student
to represent UOIT at the OUA Squash Championship in March. She
was also the women's rowing top GPA award winner and was selected
as UOIT's representative for the OUA woman of influence award.
Her extracurricular activities on campus include her involvement
on the UOIT Ridgebacks rowing executive and coordinator of the
UOIT extramural women's flag football team.

The Oshawa native has been an athlete in the Quest for Gold program
since 2006, which provides support to Ontario's amateur high
performance athletes.

Durham College will host the 2011 OCAA women's fastball championship
from October 21-22.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Scott Dennis
Sports Information and Marketing Coordinator
Durham College and UOIT Athletics
905.721.2000 Ext. 2784 (P)
905.259.2825 (C)
905.721.3117 (F)
scott.dennis(at)dc-uoit.ca

   fastball at pmihrm.com
2011 ISC World Tournament in Quad Cities, August 14-20:
http://www.iscfastpitch.com/index.php?page=203