Fw: Samoa edges USA 3-2 at ISF World Championships

fastball at pmihrm.com fastball at pmihrm.com
Fri Mar 1 22:20:27 EST 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: "Steven Embree" <sembree at softball.org>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2013 21:05:45
To: Steven Embree<sembree at softball.org>
Subject: Samoa edges USA 3-2 at ISF World Championships

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

March 2, 2013

Samoa edges USA 3-2 at ISF World Championships

Click here for coverage throughout the ISF Men's Fastpitch World
Championship <http://usasoftball.com/events.asp?uid=7268>

AUCKLAND, New Zealand - The USA Men's Fastpitch National Team feel to
0-2 in pool play on Saturday with a 3-2 loss to Samoa at the
International Softball Federation (ISF) World Championship the Amateur
Softball Association (ASA) of America and USA Softball announced today.
The American's struck first in the game with a run in the opening inning
but Samoa bounced back with two runs in the third and another in the
fourth to get the win.

"We left too many runners on base to win against a good team," said USA
assistant coach Avon Meacham. "We did a good job of getting people in
scoring position but we just never could bring them around to score."

In their opening at-bat, the USA loaded the bases with no outs but was
only able to score one run before the inning came to a close on a fly
ball to third base. In all the team gathered four hits but left 10
runners stranded on base throughout the game.

Samoa used a single and a USA error to tie the game at one in the top of
the third inning and then took the outright lead in the fourth with
another single and a second USA error.

"They deserve credit for the win, but if we make the plays that we
should make in the field and put the ball in play with runners in
scoring position, we would have had a more favorable outcome today,"
said Meacham.

Gerald Muizelaar (Grand Forks, ND) got the start in the circle for the
USA and went the complete game allowing six hits while striking out
five. The three Samoa runs all came unearned.

On the offensive side, the Americans picked up hits from Adam LaLonda
(Ashland, Ky.), Matt Palazzo (Des Moines, Iowa), Marcus Tan (Union City,
Calif.) as well as a solo homerun from Josh Johnson (Booklyn, Wis.) in
the seventh.

With the loss the USA Men fall to 0-2 in pool play and will look to
bounce back when they face South Africa on Sunday at 12 PM local time.
Pool play will continue through March 7 when the top four teams from
each pool will be seeded into a bracket scheduled for March 8-10. You
can follow all of the USA Men's National Team action at
www.USASoftball.com.

About ASA
The Amateur Softball Association, founded in 1933, is the National
Governing Body of softball in the United States and a member of the
United States Olympic Committee. The ASA has become one of the nation's
largest sports organizations and now sanctions competition in every
state through a network of 76 local associations. The ASA has grown from
a few hundred teams in the early days to over 200,000 teams today,
representing a membership of more than three million. For more
information on the ASA, visit http://www.asasoftball.com/.

About USA Softball
USA Softball is the brand created, operated and owned by the ASA that
links the USA Men's, Women's, Junior Boys' and Junior Girls' National
Team programs together. USA Softball is responsible for training,
equipping and promoting these four National Teams to compete in
international and domestic competitions. The USA Softball Women's
National Team is one of only two women's sports involved in the Olympic
movement to capture three consecutive gold medals at the Olympic Games
since 1996. The U.S. women have also won nine World Championship titles
as well as claimed six World Cup of Softball titles. For more
information about USA Softball, please visit
http://www.usasoftball.com/.

----
Steven Embree | ASA/USA Softball

Assistant Director of Marketing and Communications
2801 NE 50th | Oklahoma City, OK 73111
Work: 405-425-3422 | Cell: 405-207-1004
E-mail: sembree at softball.org | Web: www.usasoftball.com
<http://www.soonersports.com/>