[Alsfastball] The Bar on the Avenue - Update

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Tue Jul 6 22:26:07 EDT 2004

From: "Jon & Steph" <zipp3 at new.rr.com>
To: "Al's Fastball" <fastball at pmihrm.com>
Subject: The Bar on the Avenue - Update
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 21:02:29 -0500

Since we have had so much trouble getting to Al's page and our last report
did not make it to the website, I would like to update everyone on the
progress of The Bar on the Avenue team.
1. Since the last report, we have had both ups and downs, but have made
significant progress as a team. The first weekend in June was a bittersweet
at the Grafmeier. Most of the games were reported already but a brief
wrapup is here to view:
#3 Farm Tavern 8 BOA 0
This was a real tight game until the fifth when The Farm was able to break
it open and take a 5-0 lead and cruise home to a victory.
#11 IS KNIGHTS 2 BOA 0
Another tight heartbreaking loss that summed up our season in a nutshell to
this point, excellent pitching and missed opportunities on offense.
Planngers 3 BOA 0
The beat goes on, good pitching and lack of a key hit hurt us again.
#15 RWP 6 BOA 1
5 runs in the first two innings and this one is over early.
We also had a key makeup game in the Wisconsin Classic League on Sunday.
#23 BOA 4 The Bull/Townline 1
This was the biggest game of the weekend for us and we were able to come up
big and take over second place in the Classic League behind #4 Circle Tap.
Trevor Ethier was dominate in the circle and Josh Johnson led the offense
with a key 2 run homer.
The weekend of June 11th saw us in the ISC qualifier at Circle Tap.
GAME 1
BOA 8 #29 Denmark Merchants 7
This was a rain interrupted game that BOA dominated 7-0 until the rain came
and pitching became an adventure, but Trent Noe's homer won the game for BOA.
GAME 2
#23 THE BULL 7 BOA 0
A tough game for The Avenues, Mike Roberts was on the mound with a bad
sciaticia nerve, and Trevor Ethier was in Saskatoon for the Skins Tourney.
NO excuses needed, we didn't score and now we need outside help for a ISC bid.
June 24-26 found us in the great Eau Claire Invite. We finally had our team
together (with the exception of Roberts who is healing his back) and we
were able to really play well and finished 5th in this prestigious tourney.
Game 1
Bar on the Ave 8 #37 Wilber Lime 1
BOA took command early and put the game away in six innings due to the
mercy rule. Trevor Ethier gave up two hits and struck out 14 in the six
innings. Brad Dvorachek homered and Josh Johnson had three hits to lead a
very balanced and strong offensive outing in which every starter had a
least one hit.
Game 2
Bar on the Ave 22 Eau Claire Merchants 0 (3 innings)
An unbelievable game in which BOA started early and never let up. Twenty
hits and no Eau Claire errors led to all the BOA runs. Blair Ezekiel picked
up the victory and the offense was led by Brian Gauthier who had a 3 run
homer and a grand slam. Josh Johnson and Brad Dvorachek picked up their
second homers of the weekend in a game that had to be seen to be believed.

Game 3
#11 IS Knights 3 BOA 2
An excellent fastpitch game that left the crowd very happy to be a witness.
IS had the great Michael White and BOA countered with young stud Trevor
Ethier, and both gave it a tremendous effort. BOA drew first blood in the
1st when Dan Wall singled home Jon Zipperer with two outs to put BOA up
1-0. IS countered in the second inning with three runs on one hit, one
error, a walk and a sac fly. BOA got one back in the third to make it 3-2.
In the bottom of the fifth BOA had a chance to tie the game and a nice
sliding catch by the rightfielder confused the runner at third who went
back to the base and was unable to tag and tie the score. The final score
ends up 3-2 for IS but we know its a game we should have won, but to their
credit they found a way to win. Ethier was spectacular on the mound
allowing two earned runs and two singles while striking out 11. BOA managed
7 hits and had many other hard hit balls that were caught, but we have all
been on the short end of the stick so we move on as #2 seed in the pool and
play on Sunday.
Game 4 Playoff Round
#4 Circle Tap 5 BOA 2
Another well played and tough game. CT started Rob Scheller and BOA went
with Ethier. CT jumped on top in the first inning at 1-0. CT added three
more through the fourth to lead 4-0. BOA got one in the fourth and one in
the seventh off of Peter Meredith while CT added one in the sixth to get
the final of 5-2. Ethier was again solid on the mound and the offense
continued to improve against the best pitching the game has to offer.
All in all, it was a successful weekend and a fifth place finish was
excellent considering that the teams that finished ahead of us are ranked
#2,#3,#4 and #11.

We look ahead this weekend to the Boys of Summer at Circle Tap. We have a
skeleton crew available due to weddings, but we look to put on a good show
for the great fans of Denmark.
Thanks and have a great week.

Jon Zipperer - The Bar on the Ave
<mailto:zipp3 at new.rr.com>zipp3 at new.rr.com