[Alsfastball] Team Canada narrowly missed Canada Cup Playoffs

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Fri Jul 9 07:31:23 EDT 2004

From: "Ron Gallinger - Canada Cup" <rgallinger at softball.ca>
Subject: SOFTBALL - Team Canada narrowly missed Canada Cup Playoffs
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 01:44:25 -0400

For Immediate Release

Thursday, July 8, 2004

Team Canada ousted from the Canada Cup

(Surrey, BC)  Team Canada was unable to win on the final day of round robin
play and will miss the playoffs at the 11th annual Canada Cup International
Women’s Softball tournament.

With their ace, Lauren Bay, on the mound and a chance to secure a playoff
berth, Team Canada came up short in a 2-0 loss to New Zealand in their
first game on Thursday.  Bay had another good start, going 6 innings,
allowing 2 runs on 4 hits and striking out 9.  However, two of the hits
were a Kalala Foolago single followed by a Char Pouaka home run in the 3rd
inning.  The Canadians had runners in scoring position in the first four
innings, but could not manufacture a key hit to drive in a run.

The loss to New Zealand put the Canadians in a must win situation against
the USA elite team in their final round robin game to have any chance of
making the playoffs.  The Canadian squad playing their best game of the
tournament came from down 2-0 to tie the game at 2-2 only to lose the game
in the 7th inning.  Canada came close to opening the scoring in the 2nd
inning.  Erin White walked.   Cindy Eadie drove a double to right centre
field, but White was thrown out at the plate on a great relay by the USA
2nd base Caitlin Benyi.

The USA got on the scoreboard first in the 3rd inning.  Emily Zaplathosh
single and advanced to second on a fielder’s choice.  Vicky Galindo singled
in Zaplathosh on a close play at the plate.  The USA struck again in the
4th.  Speedster Caitlin Lowe reached 1st on a bunt single and stole 2nd and
3rd and scored on a Kristie Fox sac fly.

In the bottom of the 4th Canada cut the USA lead in half when Rachel Schill
doubled and was driven home by an Alison Bradley single.  In the 6th
inning,  Erin White walked and reached third on a USA error.  Eadie singled
to drive White home to tie the game at 2.

In the top of the 7th, Lisa Dodd singled for the USA and was replaced by
pinch runner Jackie Reinhart.  Reinhart advanced to second on a sac
bunt.  What appeared to be a inning ending ground out to Kristy Odamura
turned out to produce the winning run.  The normally sure handed Odamura
bobbled the ball and the USA hitter was called safe on a close play at
first.  Reinhart running hard from second beat the throw to the plate to
score the winning run.

Ani Nyhus pitched 3 1/3 innings giving up 2 runs on 5 hits.  Kaila Holtz
pitched 3 2/3 inning giving up 1 run on 4 hits and struck out 3.

“We are disappointed not to make the playoffs in our home country”, stated
Team Captain Kristy Odamura.  “We need to build on the positives from this
event and move forward.  Our goal is to peak in Athens.”

“We look forward to playing more games and seeing more live pitching”,
stated head coach Mike Renney.  “We’ve been working very hard in
practices.  What we need to do is play more games, put ourselves in more
competitive situations and become more consistent before we hit the field
in Athens.”

Canada will have that opportunity as they travel to California next week to
participate in the Champions Cup.  They will then travel to Prague,
Czechoslovakia prior to next month’s Olympic Games.

The list of Olympic players can be found at the end of the release.  Visit
www.canadacup.com to view detailed results and highlights and view Softball
Canada’s official website at www.softball.ca to see details about the
Canadian Games.

For more information, please contact Ron Gallinger, National Team Director
at Softball Canada, on site at the Canada Cup at (613) 558-4663 or by email
at rgallinger at softball.ca.  Or contact Lisette Johnson Stapley, Marketing &
Communications Director at Softball Canada at 613-523-3386 ext. 3105 or
(613) 795-1996

2004 Canada Cup

Canadian Olympic Softball Team

Lauren Bay                Pitcher                        Trail, B.C.

Alison Bradley           Outfield                       Pinkerton, ON

Erin Cumpstone        Catcher/1st base        Saskatoon, SK

Cindy Eadie               3rd base/1st base       Brantford, ON

Kaila
Holtz                  Pitcher                        Massachusetts,USA *
HT-North Vancouver, BC

Jackie Lance             Short Stop                  Albuquerque, New
Mexico * HT-South Delta, BC
Sheena Lawrick        2nd base/1st base      Calgary, AB

Angela Lichty Short Stop                  Guelph, ON

Noémie Marin            Utility                           Acton Vale, QC
*** alternate

Ani Nyhus                   Pitcher                        South Surrey, BC

Kristy Odamura         2nd base                     Richmond, BC ** Captain

Sasha Olson              Outfield                       Valemount, BC

Kim Sarrazin              Catcher                      St-Eustache, QC

Rachel Schill              Outfield                       Kitchener, ON

Auburn Sigurdson     Pitcher                        Surrey, BC

Erin White                  1st base/ Catcher       Iowa, USA * HT–
Richmond, BC

Team Staff:

Head Coach              Mike Renney              Surrey, BC

Assistant Coach        Glenn Boles                St. Catharines, ON

Assistant Coach        Patrick Murphy           Alabama, USA

Assistant Coach        Lonni Alameda          Las Vegas, NV

Team Leader             Evelyne Holenski       Winnipeg, MB

- 30 -

  Als Fastball List
*Email: fastball at pmihrm.com
TEMP: http://fastpitchwest.com/alsfastball.htm