[Alsfastball] Canadian Development Team End Canada Cup Run

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Fri Jul 9 07:28:40 EDT 2004

From: "Ron Gallinger - Canada Cup" <rgallinger at softball.ca>
Subject: SOFTBALL - Canadian Development Team End Canada Cup Run
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 00:56:24 -0400

For Immediate Release

Thursday, July 8, 2004

Canadian Developmental Team ends run at Canada Cup

(Surrey, BC)  Team Canada

The Canadian Developmental Team ended their Canada Cup run with a pair of
losses dropping their record to 2-5 for 6th place in their division.

In their first game of the day, they faced the undefeated Australians and
were mercied 10-0 in 4 innings.  The Aussies hit 3 home runs in the game
including a grand slam from Stacy Porter in the first inning.  The Canadian
squad managed two hits, a single from Tiffany Patteson and a double from
Shannon Rossiter.  Megan McKenzie and Callie Osborne pitched for the Canada.

In their final game the Developmental team lost a close 1-0 game to
Washington.  17 year old Danielle Lawrie had an outstanding game going the
distance allowing 1 run on 4 hits, walking 2 and striking out 11.  Cambria
MacKay had two hits for Canada while Alisia Narodowski, Janiva Willis and
Cari Irwin each had one hit.

Only three players (Shannon Rossiter, Cari Irwin and Janiva Willis) had any
experience at this level.  The Developmental team gives athletes an
opportunity to experience the best softball in the world at the Canada Cup
and enables them bring that experience with them to future National Team
events.

  "My experience at last year's Canada Cup was very valuable to me", stated
Rossiter an Olympic alternate and member of the 2003 Pan Am Games
team.  "It's a pretty charged environment here at the Canada Cup.  I
remember what it was like my first few times on the field and I tried to
encourage the newer athletes to relax, take some risks and enjoy the
experience."

The Developmental team will next play at the 1st World University Softball
championships in October in Plant City, Florida.

For more information, please contact Ron Gallinger, National Team Director
at Softball Canada, on site at the Canada Cup at (613) 558-4663 or by email
at rgallinger at softball.ca.  Or contact Lisette Johnson Stapley, Marketing &
Communications Director at Softball Canada at 613-523-3386 ext. 3105 or
(613) 795-1996

2004 Canada Cup

Canadian Development Team

Hailey Clark               Infield              Caledon East, ON

Melissa Findley         Outfield           London, ON

Tamra Howren           Catcher          Surrey, BC

Cari Irwin                    Outfield           Burnaby, BC

Danielle Lawrie         Pitcher            Langley, BC

Megan MacKenzie    Pitcher            North Delta, BC

Cambria McKay        Catcher          Brampton, ON

Alisia Narodowski     Infield              Vancouver, BC

Callie Osborne          Pitcher            Oshawa, ON

Tiffany Patteson        Infield              Guelph, ON

Kim Rossiter              Catcher          Surrey, BC

Shannon Rossiter     Infield              Surrey, BC * Olympic Alternate

Meghan Stastook      Infield              Calgary, AB

Katy Van Deveire      Outfield           Brandon, MB

Janiva Willis               Outfield           Irishtown, NB

Team Staff:

Head Coach                    Noreen Murphy Saskatoon, SK

Assistant Coach              Mark Sanderson      Brampton, ON

Assistant Coach              Kim White-Merb      Toronto, ON

Team Leader                   Jackie Eiwanger      Regina, SK

- 30 -

  Als Fastball List
*Email: fastball at pmihrm.com
TEMP: http://fastpitchwest.com/alsfastball.htm