[Alsfastball] CT Struggles in Allentown

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Mon Jul 26 17:21:59 EDT 2004

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 16:17:59 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: CT Struggles in Allentown
From: zakkflash at greenbaynet.com
To: fastball at pmihrm.com

July 23-25
Allentown, PA

The Circle Tap fastpitch team journeyed to Allentown, PA this weekend for
the 5th annual Bob Walsh Memorial Classic Tournament featuring 8 teams all
ranked in the top 12 in the World.  CT didn't come away with the results
we had hoped as we finished with a 1-3 record(35-6 overall).  CT was
without the services of Rob Scheller and Peter Meredith(out for season,
knee).  We did pick up young Canadian Trevor Ethier to log some innings.
This trip had it's fair share of complications starting Friday as we had
to call tournament director Jon Adams and let him know that we wouldn't be
in for our 7PM game vs Fedlock.  The NE Wisconsin boys (10) flew from GB
to Detroit where we found out after an hour delay that our flight would be
cancelled.  So 6 hours in the airport we finally got a flight into
Harrisburg where we would have to drive an hour and a half.  In Harrisburg
they had a power outage so we couldn't get the cars rented because their
computers were down so we sat for another 2 hours.  Tournament directors
were very good and Fedlock was very understanding of the situation and
they helped us out by rescheduling our first game.  So here we go.

Game 1
8:30 AM Saturday

#4 CT 5 #6 Fedlock, Washington DC 0

FL 0 0 0
CT 5 7 0
Circle Tap decided to go with Dewey Dyck who has been throwing absolutely
top notch this year against a strong FedLock lineup.  Dewey tossed a no
hitter with 8K's and 2 walks.  This game was played on the 2nd diamond
which had no fences.  CT grabbed the lead in the bottom of 2 with a
leadoff HR by Don Garvey.  The game remained 1-0 until the bottom of 5.
With one out Jess Ellestad singled and Kevin Reichardt knocked him in.  In
the bottom of 6 after a pitching change from DeBelleval to Urquardt, Chris
Delarwelle singled, followed by a Robbie O'Brien base hit, followed by a
Don Garvey RBI single.  Tom Montgomery picked up a sac fly to score
O'Brien and Jess Ellestad grouned out which allowed Garvey to score.
Don Garvey 2x3 HR 2 RBI, Chris Miljavac 2B.
WP:Dewey Dyck  LP:Jeremy DeBelleval

Game 2
1:30 PM Saturday
#4 CT 1 #8 Heflin, Balston Lake, NY 2

HB 2 8 1
CT 1 2 0
Heflin starter Paul Koert kept the CT bats silent giving CT it's first
loss in round robin play.  Steve Schucker led off the game for Heflin with
a HR and an early 1-0 lead.  CT would come back to tie the game at 1 in
the bottom of 2 as Jess Ellestad drew a walk with two out and scored on a
Todd Malnory base hit.  Heflin would go back on top for good in the top of
3 when Jeremy Spear scored on a wild pitch.
WP:Paul Koert  LP:Trevor Ethier

Game 3
8:45 PM Saturday

#4 CT 0 #3 Broken Bow 6

CT 0 2 0
BB 6 9 0
Frank Cox and later Gerald Muizelaar would keep CT bats quiet for the
second straight game.  Broken Bow struck for 3 in the bottom of the 1st
and added two in the 5th and another in the 6th to get the win.  Not the
showing we wanted in the first meeting with Bow.
WP:Frank Cox  LP:Robbie O'Brien

CT would manage to get 2nd place in our division as Bow finished 3-0 and
CT, Heflin, and FedLock all finished 1-2 but we got the tie breaker due to
run differential.

Game 4
Semi-Final 10:30 Sunday

#4 CT 6 #2 The Farm Tavern 10

CT  6  9 3
FT 10 12 1
This was an ugly game and very uncharacteristic of CT play.  CT defense is
usually very sound and error free but in this one we made a number of
physical and mental mistakes.  You do that against a team like The Farm
and you don't get positive results.
The Farm grabbed a 1-0 lead in the first and CT would answer in the top of
2 as Don Garvey hit a solo HR.  The Farm would add 3 in the third and 5 in
the fourth for a 9-1 lead.  Facing a run rule situation in the 5th the CT
bats awoke.  Tom Montgomery led off with a double and Jess Ellestad
followed with an RBI single.  Kevin Reichardt then singled and then Darren
Derricks came up with an RBI single.  After a strike out, Chris Miljavac
came through with a two RBI base hit and then Robbie O'Brien knocked him
in to make it 9-6.  Dean Holoien entered the game in relief of Todd Martin
and struck out the next two batters.  The Farm would add a run in the 6th
and CT couldn't get anything going off Holoien.
Miljavac 2x4 2RBI, O'Brien 2x4 RBI
WP:Todd Martin  LP:Trevor Ethier

CT will next see action in Middleton, WI at The Farm tournament.  Schedule
is 2PM Saturday vs FedLock, 6PM vs The Farm and 8PM vs Earl's Club.

Zakk
CT Fastpitch
zakkflash at greenbaynet.com

  Als Fastball List