[Alsfastball] USA Softball - Quotes from August 10th Press Conference

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Wed Aug 11 07:58:18 EDT 2004

Subject: USA Softball - Quotes from August 10th Press Conference
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 12:29:32 -0500
From: "Brian McCall" <bmccall at softball.org>

Quotes, Softball Press Conference

Lisa Fernandez, pitcher, Long Beach, Calif.
On the lofty expectations of Team USA:
The group of athletes that we had and the new additions we have to this
team came in knowing that (winning the gold medal) was the expectation.
It’s true, anything less than winning a gold medal would be a huge
disappointment for this team. Coach (Mike) Candrea has continued to set the
standard that we expect of ourselves, to play USA softball, and in doing
that be able to walk away with a gold medal. Personally, as one of the
older players on this team, I’m fortunate to have teammates that were part
of the program in 1996 with Leah (O’Brien-Amico), Laura (Berg) and Laura
Harrigan. The combination of the four us help set that standard, both on
and off the field, of how we play the game, what’s expected of this team
and how we approach the game. Coach Candrea has done an incredible job of
pushing this team to an even higher level, to keep the level of USA
Softball at a premium. We’ve left no stone unturned. One thing that can
happen with a team that’s had the success we’ve had in the past is to
become complacent. With the addition of Coach Candrea and the new players,
that’s not happened with this program.”

On the team’s preparation:
“We’re prepared, and we’ve done everything we can to prepare for this
moment in time. That’s what confidence is all about. There is a way to play
this game physically, but it’s the mental part that’s going to separate
gold from silver and silver from bronze. We’ve worked extremely hard to get
these athletes ready to compete and be ready for the challenge. We’ve been
fortunate that we’ve gone through an extensive training period in our own
country, where softball is quite dominant, and we’ve been put in situations
where we’ve had to come from behind. We’ve had to face those challenges.
Our intrasquad games are pretty intense.”

On the upcoming opponents:
“At this stage, any team is truly a threat. I wish the game was played on
paper – we’d do pretty good. But the game’s got to be played on the field,
and that’s the one day that’s got to be the most important day. One pitch
can be the difference between a win and a loss, an error could be the
difference. Whether it’s Japan, Chinese Taipei, Greece, Italy, they’re all
good. Obviously we have something that all those countries want, and that’s
the opportunity to have a gold medal. We’re not overlooking any opponent.
We have a tremendous rivalry with Japan, but we also have tremendous
rivalries with Australia, China, Chinese Taipei and Canada. Those are teams
that we’ve played through world championships and the past Olympics. Italy
has come hard on the scene. They’ve made major adjustments, going from not
being there to qualifying and being one of the top eight teams in the world.”

Lori Harrigan, pitcher, Las Vegas, Nev.
On the difficulty in learning about the team’s Olympic opponents:
“We have a tremendous coaching staff. They go to the tournaments that the
various teams play in and put together scouting reports on different
countries. What needs to be taken care of will be taken care of by our
coaching staff. They’ve left no stone unturned in that regard. I think
we’re pretty familiar with (the opponents), even though we’ve played some
more than others. The Greek team that’s newly formed is one that we haven’t
played as often, but we still have enough reports on them.”

On the change of the pitching distance from 40 feet to 43 feet:
“I think throwing at 40 feet, you have more velocity, but moving back to 43
feet you can get more movement on the ball. That has definitely worked for
me. I’ve added a few pitches at my late age, and that has worked well for
me towards the end of my career. This pitching staff, like the other
pitching staffs we’ve had, really complements each other, probably more so
than others. We have two lefties and two righties, two veterans and two
newcomers.”

Jennie Finch, pitcher, La Mirada, Calif.
On the attention she’s received in the mainstream media:
“Anything that brings attention to our sport brings notoriety to it, and
that can only help the sport.”

Crystl Bustos, third base, Canyon Country, Calif.
On what they anticipate from each team:
“We’re going to step on the field knowing that every team we’re going
against is going to push their game to that whole new level that we
probably hadn’t seen. That’s what I’m expecting and our team is expecting.
We’ve just got to be ready to step up with them.”

Laura Berg, centerfield, Santa Fe Springs, Calif.
On concerns that softball may be dropped from the Olympic Games:
“We know how great a sport softball is and how much attention we get and we
believe that we belong in the Games. The television coverage we got in 1996
and 2000 and the crowds that we drew, we know that the sport is incredible
to watch. It’s disappointing that it’s on the chopping block.”

Leah O’Brien-Amico, first base, Chino Hills, Calif.
On the depth of the competition:
“I think after what happened in 2000, once again it’s going to come down to
every single game. I think every one of our batters that steps into that
box is going to be prepared. We’re going to do our homework. We’re not
going to look at any one team or one pitching staff. Every country wants to
win the gold medal, and every country is doing everything it can to get
their athletes to be the very best. That’s why we’re seeing this game grow,
not only in our country but across the world.”

Jessica Mendoza, outfield, Camarillo, Calif.
On the flag-raising ceremony in the Olympic Village on Monday:
“This is the first time I have been able to play with USA on my chest. Just
yesterday we had the flag raising ceremony. We hear the national anthem all
the time back home, before every game, but hearing it in there in the
Village and seeing the flag, it brought tears to my eyes.”

Stacey Nuveman, catcher, La Verne, Calif.
On her impressions of Athens:
“I think Athens is nicer than we expected it to be. The reports back home
were that the venues weren’t finished and there was construction
everywhere. Actually, it’s been very smooth. Greece is a country that works
well at the last minute. As far as the Village is concerned, it’s the same
thing. It’s a huge city – a small country, actually, and we’re just a small
contingent in that Olympic world. We’ve been here for two weeks, and I
think we have the upper hand in getting acclimated. We feel like we’re
home. We’ve been here long enough that we’re used to the surroundings.”

Mike Candrea, head coach, Casa Grande, Ariz.
On the Greek team, which features a number of Greek-American players:
“They’ve done everything they can to put a competitive team on the field,
and I’m excited about it. I think they’ve done a very nice job in a very
short period of time. We’re expecting a competitive ball game with the
Greeks, no matter where they’re from. It’s been a little easier for us to
scout them because we know a lot of the players on that team. It’s an
exciting moment for the Greeks and for softball.”

On the recent loss of his wife, Sue:
“Right now I’m going through things I’ve never had to think about because
she did it. Every day I come across different things that I might have
taken for granted. I’m not going to take anything for granted, or any day
for granted. Hopefully I can pass that along to players and coaches in the
future, because you never know what’s around the corner for you. I’m sure
glad that I have this group (the team) in my life right now. They are
definitely going to be a big part of me getting through this. They have
given me the love and support that I’ve needed. Right now, I want to make
sure that the focus is on this group of athletes.”

Brian McCall
Director of Communications
ASA/USA Softball
405-425-3463