[Alsfastball] I.S.C. Revises Round Robin Format for the World Tournament

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Fri Aug 20 18:39:49 EDT 2004

I.S.C. Revises Round Robin Format for the World Tournament

             When the 40 best fastball teams in the world gather next
August they will find themselves playing in a slightly different round
robin format and they will also face an expanded playoff following pool play.
             “We want to provide fans with the greatest number of exciting
and competitive games during pool play” said Larry Fisher, chair of the
I.S.C.’s World Tournament committee. “We regularly get suggestions for
making the tournament better and we try to avoid making sweeping changes.
We will continue to fine-tune the event from time to time.” According to
Fisher.
             The changes for 2005 will see the top 10 teams placed in two
pools of five teams. The remaining 30 teams will be placed in six pools of
five teams.
             Ranking of the teams is done by a 12-man committee and the
July 2005 rankings will be used in determining the top 10 teams as well as
the teams to be seeded in the other six pools.
             Following pool play, teams will move to a 24-team
single-elimination playoff to determine the I.S.C. World Champs. The winner
of the eight pools will get a first round bye in the playoffs. All 10 teams
from the “power pools” (the top 10 ranked teams) will make the playoffs.
The top two finishers in each of the other six pools will also advance to
the playoffs. Two “wild card” spots in the playoffs will go to teams, which
finished third in their pools. Those two positions will be determined using
the I.S.C.’s tiebreaker rule (fewest runs allowed, etc.) The revised format
will add just one more game to the tournament.
             ISC Executive Director Ken Hackmeister enthusiastically
endorsed the changes. According to Hackmeister, “We want to make the
tourney action as appealing as possible for fans and teams alike, and we
believe that this change will provide more ‘power matches’ and more
competitive pool play for our fans. The change to a single elimination
playoff will also add a lot more excitement as we near the end of the tourney.”
             The revised format will be unveiled at the 2005 ISC World
Tournament next August in Eau Claire, Wisconsin.

Aug. 20, 2005

By: Gordon Wise – ISC Information Officer
<mailto:sgwise at woh.rr.com>sgwise at woh.rr.com
http://www.iscfastpitch.com

Als Fastball List
*Email: <mailto:fastball at pmihrm.com>fastball at pmihrm.com