[Alsfastball] Brookfield Elks hunting for gold at fastpitch nationals

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Sat Aug 28 13:55:23 EDT 2004

http://www.trurodaily.com/

Wednesday, August 25, 2004
Brookfield Elks hunting for gold at fastpitch nationals
By Matt Veno

[]

Brookfield's Ryan Flynn gets ready to field a ground ball during Coca Cola
Major fastball League action at Elk Park earlier this season. The Elks will
be competing at the Canadian Senior Men's Fastpitch Championships in St.
Croix, Hants County, Aug. 27-Sept. 5.3
After appearing at the national fastpitch championships five of the last
six seasons, the Brookfield Elks feel this is their time.

The Canadian Senior Men's Fastpitch Championships will be held in St.
Croix, Hants West, Aug. 27 - Sept. 5. and the Elks are looking to come back
with a little gold.

"Ultimately we want to win," said coach Donald Henderson. "We feel pretty
confident. This is the best team we've ever had and we want to be there on
Sunday (Sept. 5)."

In order for the Elks to fulfill that goal, they're going to have to keep
up what they've been doing on the diamond as of late. Since the Elks won
the league championship in July, they've been riding a wave of success,
winning 20 of their last 21 games.

"We've been playing really good lately and we've really been putting it
together," Henderson said. "Everything is seeming to come together at the
right time and I like the way the team is looking going into this weekend."

Even Halifax Murphy's Fish and Chips owner, Dave Anderson, believes the
Elks will have a strong showing at the 14-team tournament.

"They're very much a threat and people better watch out for them," he said.
"I wish them well."

Henderson said his team's ability to execute will determine how far they go
at the event.

"We're going to need to get key hits, the right hits at the right time," he
said. "I have confidence in our defense and that we're going to play as
well as we ever have."

The Elks will benefit from a bigger bench than they've been able to take to
other national tournaments in the past. Due to traveling expenses, the Elks
experienced a shortage of players at previous championships, but not so
this time around. Brookfield will carry a full roster of 17 players.

"That's really going to help because if somebody's having a bad game, we're
going to have a lot of guys to pick up the slack, which is something we
haven't had at nationals before," Henderson said.

Brookfield has added Robbie O'Brien to their roster for the event. O'Brien,
who normally plays with Circle Tap in Wisconsin, has been named MVP of the
national tournament two of the last three years. His team also finished
fourth at the recent International Softball Congress World Championships.

(and they have added Robbie's catcher brother Sean O'Brien, of the ISC
World Champion Amsterdam NY Broken Bow Spirit - AD)

"He's got a long resume and he's really going to help us," Henderson said.

"That's what we've always been missing is a third big pitcher, plus he
brings a big stick to the plate too."

The Elks know all about the competition heading into the event, having met
most of the other teams in exhibition or tournament contests in the past.

The Elks defeated both the Union Storm and the Jarvis Merchants in
exhibition matchups this season.

"It's good to know who you're playing and what to expect because it gives
you a place to start," Henderson said.

The Elks kick off their tournament run on Sunday when they face the
Peterborough Ricart Pros at 6 p.m.

Following is a schedule of Brookfield's preliminary round games:

Monday, Aug. 30

Brookfield Elks vs. Vancouver Grey Sox (BC), noon

Brookfield Elks vs. Saskatoon Black Sox (Sask 2), 8:30 p.m.

Tuesday, Aug. 31

Brookfield Elks vs. Labatt's Grumpy Stump (NL 2), 4 p.m.

Wednesday, Sept. 1

Brookfield Elks vs. Saskatoon Merchants (Sask 1), noon

Kinkora Hitmen (PEI) vs. Brookfield Elks (NS 1), 6:30 p.m.

Thursday, Sept. 2

Union Storm (Ont 1) vs. Brookfield Elks, 6:30 p.m.