[Alsfastball] Senior men's nationals : residency - by Chad Rawn - II

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Wed Sep 1 14:47:07 EDT 2004

From: "Chad Rawn" <chadrawn at hotmail.com>
To: ivan.hapggod at nf.sympatico.ca, aldoran at pmihrm.com
Subject: Senior men's nationals : residency
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 13:21:43 -0400

NOTE:  Mr. Hapgood's Correct E-Mail Address is:
ivan.hapgood at nf.sympatico.ca  and NOT as used in his previous postings. AD

Senior men's nationals : residency - by Chad Rawn - II

Mr. Ivan Hapgood,

Thank you for your reply.  I think I'll just clarify one issue and you can
tell me if I'm wrong about this.  In your email you stated that "once the
provinces approve that a player has met the requirements [of residency],
our hands are tied".  My understanding of the 2004 Special Operating Rules
is that if there is a dispute about residency between two or more p/t
associations that Softball Canada would make the final determination as per
section 2.7(d).  The wording of that section does not establish any
deadline for requesting Softball Canada's determination of the matter.

Part II, Article III of the 2004 SOR's also indicates that an Association
representative will act on a protest regarding player eligibility provided
it is lodged in writing and signed by a coach/manager before midnight of
day one of the tournament.  If that deadline is not met then the provision
states that it would be dealt with after the conclusion of the
championship.

If residency is a genuine concern by any team in the tournament, then I
think the SOR's provide for either of the following options to be pursued:

(1) Notice could be provided to Softball Canada at any time that a p/t
association disagrees with the eligibility of a particular player or
players and that they request a ruling on the player/player(s)residency as
per 2.7(d).  If Softball Canada is satisfied with the documentary evidence
that the player is a resident of that province, then the player is
eligible, if not, then the player would be ruled ineligible thereafter.

(2) A protest could be filed during the course of the tournament by a
provincial/territorial  Association representative (having received a
written protest signed by a manager/coach from one of their province's
representative teams).  This protest would then be dealt with after the
conclusion of the tournament, presumably by Softball Canada.

If option (2) were chosen, in theory I think it could result in a team
winning the national championship, only to have a later determination by
Softball Canada that particular players were ineligible due to residency
problems.  In such event, I could not see Softball Canada do anything but
disqualify that team and to declare an alternate champion.

None of this becomes an issue if the p/t associations have all collectively
decided to turn a blind eye to the residency rules (if they have, then I
argue that there are some very poor p/t association reps out there).  But
perhaps that's what you meant earlier when you stated that "decisions have
been made and the appropriate parties notified"?

Nonetheless, if any p/t association did decide to protest I'm sure they'd
have a pretty good basis for doing so.  The big downside to that of course
is that a team full of ineligible players would have influenced the outcome
of the tournament, even if they were later disqualified.  For example they
may have eliminated certain teams in the playoff round.

Chad Rawn
mailto:chadrawn at hotmail.com

  Als Fastball List
*Email: fastball at pmihrm.com