[Alsfastball] International Tie-Breaker Rule

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Tue Sep 7 16:54:16 EDT 2004

Subject: International Tie-Breaker Rule
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 13:30:30 -0500
From: "Abbott, Colin" <Colin.Abbott at investorsgroup.com>
To: "Al Doran" <aldoran at pmihrm.com>

Just a quick issue I would like to bring up for future National tournaments.

The international tie-breaker rule should be dropped or at least modified
for the playoff round at the Canadians. Losing a playoff game in this
manner is tough to swallow. You play hard for 7 innings and then a runner
gets put on second to start the 8th. One error or bad pitch and you lose
the game. It would be like having penalty shots at the end of a Stanley Cup
playoff game. It doesn't seem right. Even if Softball Canada went back to
the international rule starting in the 10th inning as it was in years past
would be better than starting in the 8th, although personally I think all
playoff games should be played without any tie-breakers.

I understand the use of a tie-breaker in round robin play. Tournament
organizers don't want to fall way behind and possibly into the wee hours of
the morning playing round robin games. But the playoffs are different. I
don't think too many fans would have left our game with the Saskatoon
Merchants on Saturday night if we had played 15 innings, even though it was
so cold it felt like a hockey rink. If the players and fans don't mind
playing more innings, Softball Canada shouldn't either.

Just something to think about at the next AGM.

Colin Abbott
mailto:Colin.Abbott at investorsgroup.com

Als Fastball List
*Email: <mailto:fastball at pmihrm.com>fastball at pmihrm.com