[Alsfastball] Pitching List Process

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Wed Sep 8 00:24:59 EDT 2004

From: "Tom Crouch" <dfsc at juno.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 03:38:08 GMT
To: fastball at pmihrm.com
Subject: Pitching List Process

I am sorry that Mr. Groves did not make any of the Player Rep (PR)
meetings.  Due to pressing issues Mr. Groves did not show up for any of the
three scheduled meetings. Maybe if he was in attendance he could have
understood the process of how the pitching list was voted in by the PR
committee (10-0).  Unanimously!  Followed by an over 40-0 vote by the Board
of Directors (BOD).  Which, once again, was unanimous.

The idea of the pitcher list came from 2 different player reps. There was
an original plan in place to vote and put a motion to the Board of
Directors on Out of Area restrictions.  After discussing and analyzing the
OOA restrictions some of the PR's had a hard time with voting on the OOA
restrictios rule due to the overwhelming loopholes and tens of other rules
the ISC would have to install in order to monitor the OOA restrictions.  I
am sure that in the future the ISC will analyze and evaluate the OOA
restrictions more.  Someone is always looking for ways to "even the field"
and this will come up again I am sure.

Unfortunately Mr. Groves feels that he should have had a vote in the
decision of the pitcher list, even though he failed to attend any of the PR
meetings. If one cannot come to the meeting then it is very hard to
vote.  If Mr. Groves had other issues to deal with besides show up for his
scheduled meeting then perhaps he should have asked other PR's what he
missed and what important issues were being discussed at the meetings.  If
a student misses a class isn't it his job to get the notes and work missed
from his classmates?  Or is it the job of the classmates to hunt down the
truant and give him missed information?  The first scenario is obviously
the correct answer.

Mr. Groves has stated that the motion was "ramrodded" by myself and that I
"snookered" the BOD and the Executive Committee into believing that the
PR's were unanimously in favor of the pitcher list.  Again, 10-0 is
unanimous.  Mr. Groves has also stated that it is the "Crouch pitching
list."  I am very flattered that Mr. Groves would give all the credit to me
but it is just not true.  I have been asked by many ISC members to let the
fastball world know how the process was brought about. Here is how the
pitching list was passed.

1. The idea of a pitching list was brought to the PR committee meetings on
Saturday of the ISC by (2) players.
2.  The idea is discussed and then it is decided by all present that there
needs to be a couple of days to discuss and think about possible cons of
the pitcher list idea.  Meanwhile ALL PR's in attendance vote for the
pitcher list.  There are also (5) Executive committee members that agree
that we need to think about and discuss the idea before taking it to the BOD.
3.  The cons and more pros are discussed on Monday of the ISC in the third
PR meeting and it is voted by ALL in attendance that the committee chair
(myself) take the motion to the BOD for discussion (it should be noted that
NO MOTION can be discussed by the BOD unless it is put on the floor as a
motion and then seconded).  I took the motion and it is discussed on
Tuesday of the ISC by all BOD's in attendance.
4. ALL BOD members in attendance vote for the pitcher list.
5.  Following ALL of the BOD members voting for the pitcher list, it is passed.

Now, I apologize if I came off seeming like I "ramrodded" the idea through
the BOD.  However, I feel I was just doing my job of taking issues brought
up by PR's and taking those issues to the BOD for discussion.  If being the
committee chair is "ramrodding" then I certainly am guilty of that, as
accused by Mr. Groves.

Another issue that seems to be a hot topic is the new format.  Let it be
known that the PR's had NOTHING to do with the passing of the new
format.  I believe that the idea came from the World Tournament
Committee.  It did not come from the PR's as some have thought.

Some feel that the pitching list was passed too quickly. This is their
opinion.  However, it was done in a proper and legitamite fashion.  No one
was "snookered" and only the votes of the people in attendance are the ones
that counted.  Even if Mr. Groves had been there, 10-1 is a pretty good
representation of what the player reps wanted.

Finally , all of those in attendance at the PR committee meetings and at
the BOD meetings have a very different view of how the rule was passed
compared to what Mr. Groves posted.  They should.  They were there.

Tom Crouch
mailto:dfsc at juno.com

Als Fastball List
*Email: <mailto:fastball at pmihrm.com>fastball at pmihrm.com