[Alsfastball] RE: Senior men's nationals : residency - response by Conrad Margolis

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Tue Sep 7 21:57:50 EDT 2004

From: "Conrad Margolis" <conradmargolis at telus.net>
Subject: RE: Senior men's nationals : residency - by Chad Rawn - II
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 18:46:23 -0700

RE: Senior men's nationals : residency - response by Conrad Margolis

Apparently there is a rumour circulating that I authored the "anonymous"
posting that kicked off the debate on Al's service about the residency rule
for the Canadian Championship. That rumour is incorrrect. I am not the
"anonymous" author, and I did not arrange for the posting to be made.
However, I can attest to the accuracy of the report that a letter was
submitted to Mr. Hapgood/ Softball Canada prior to the start of the
Canadians, regarding the residency issue. The letter listed specific
players who were on the rosters of 3 teams, and asked that Softball Canada
rule on the eligibility of those players. I signed that letter along with
coaches of two other teams, and personally delivered the correspondence to
Mr. Hapgood on the eve of the opening day. Several other team
representatives subsequently told me they would have signed the letter as
well, if afforded the opportunity to do so. Unfortunately, logistics
prevented those other teams from getting on board. The rosters were not
disclosed until approximately 5:00 p.m. the day before the start of the
event, and we were told by Mr. Hapgood that any challenges had to be issued
by midnight that night. So a letter was drafted in haste and the ball was
put in the court of Softball Canada.

To date, it seems that Softball Canada's only tangible response to the
letter was Mr. Hapgood's posting on this service in reaction to the message
from the anonymous writer. To my knowledge, Softball Canada has still not
issued a written ruling in response to our letter.

Given that the 3 western teams that medalled, including the Grey Sox, did
not use players whose eligibility was challenged, this posting should not
appear to be a case of "sour grapes". Our team, and most of the others
whose representatives I met during the
Canadians, take the position that there should be uniformity to the
application of the residency rules. As we said in our letter, we think
Softball Canda should enforce its eligibility rules such that all teams are
competing on a level playing field. But, in my opinion, it is not just
Softball Canada that bears responsibility for applying the rules uniformly.
Participating teams and Provincial/Territorial Associations should also
take steps to ensure that they are abiding by the regulations. Players also
should take some responsibility, although some of the finer points have to
be determined by those who have the authority to keep the game organized,
rather than the players. If you don't agree with the rules, there is a
mechanism for attempting to have them changed.

In closing I wish to congratulate the Saskatoon Black Sox on winning the
Championship, and bronze medalists Sakatoon Merchants for a great
tournament. Incidentally, the pitcher who suffered the tough 1-0 loss for
the Grey Sox in the final, Rick Smith of Victoria,  almost signed in the
off-season with Saskatoon Black Sox but was not able to because the Black
Sox used up their one allowable import spot on catcher Craig Crawford.
Kudos to the Black Sox for abiding by the eligibility rules, then going
undefeated throughout the 14 team tournament.

Sincerely,

Conrad Margolis
Vancouver Grey Sox
604-802-8921 (cell)