[Alsfastball] A point of view

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Thu Oct 7 00:32:01 EDT 2004

From: "Joel Balberman" <isfump5 at rogers.com>
To: "Al Doran" <fastball at pmihrm.com>
Subject: A point of view
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 18:18:58 -0700

The end of another ball season is almost upon us here in Ontario. Time to
reflect on the past and ponder the future.

I have followed, with great interest, the results you have posted from
various leagues as they work their way through the playoffs and crown their
respective champions. Here it is, October, and most leagues have wrapped up
- some have been finished for several weeks already. Therein lies the problem.

You know, I can remember a time that ball lasted until World Series time
almost everywhere. What you used to see were fierce rivalries involving
local teams in their league playoffs, competing in several best-of-5 or
best-of-7 series to win a championship. Often these annual showdowns were
the highlight of the ball season in that community. Games were played at
night, so fans were able to attend. Often, the games were extremely well
attended, with crowds growing as you got deeper into a series, and into the
later rounds. People came out to see their local fastball team in the
playoffs, and even followed them to road games. Not only were league titles
decided in this sort of format, but provincial championships in various
categories also were decided by series play.

The playoffs fostered interest in the communities involved, and teams built
a loyal fan base by their involvement. Results would be published in the
local community newspapers. It would not be uncommon for a
reporter/photographer to be assigned to a game. Competition was intense,
with teams pitching their best against the other team's best. The intensity
brought out the best in the players, spectators and in the umpires who
worked the games. I daresay the players have more fun when they get to
perform in front of a crowd in games that mean something. Some of my
greatest memories as an umpire revolve around working the plate in a fifth
or seventh game of a playoff series. As they say, you had better bring your
"A" game.

While this format still exists, sadly, many leagues now use a tournament
format, with play over in just one weekend, to decide their winner. Seldom
do these tournaments attract the same size of crowds, have the same
intensity, and generate the same level of interest as the playoff series
format.

Over the years, many have used this forum to suggest their solutions to the
decline of the sport. I'll take my shot at it as well --- bring back series
play rather than tournaments to decide league and provincial titles. This
will help to promote the game, build rivalries, and attract interest from
local communities, fans and potential sponsors.

To those leagues who are playing series to decide a winner, keep up the
good work. Don't give in to the temptation to take the easy way out and
play a tournament! To those who do use a get-it-over-with-in-one-weekend
approach, think of what you could have. Building a healthy sport begins and
ends at thelocallevel.Here'stogreatervitality for our great game of fastball!

Respectfully submitted,

Joel Balberman
Blue in Brantford

From: "Joel Balberman" <isfump5 at rogers.com>