[Alsfastball] Barnstorming Women's FP team

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Fri Oct 8 00:08:49 EDT 2004

From: WisconsinISC at aol.com
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 23:37:26 EDT
Subject: Barnstorming Women's FP team

Hi Al - Today, via e-mail I learned about a new traveling softball team
that intends to barnstorm across the country beginning in May
,2005.Theorganizational arm of the club is the same as the Harlem
Ambassador traveling basketball teams where men and women play with and
against each other.

The Harlem Diamonds is going to be a bit different, however. It will be an
five-person team and all five players will be women of color. They are
booking dates now.

In their press release I couldn't help but chuckle when a former male
pitcher by the name of Paul Rohmeier, who claims to have beaten Eddie
Feigner three times back in Eddie's heyday, says that the women pitching
nowadays throw the ball as fast as The King did back in his prime.

Imagine that - Although I never had the chance to put a radar gun on The
King while in his prime (I was much too young and radar guns weren't
available then) I know that he would have been throwing the ball as hard as
our hardest throwers of today. The top women in the world struggle to get
pitches to go faster than 65 mph and even at 40' the top male hitters in
the world would be licking their chops to have a go at that.

As most top level men's fastpitch fans know, Tim Maziarz of Pennsylvania
handles the Fastpitch Chronicle radar guns each year at the ISC World
Tournament and even had it at the Elkland tourney in late August.

There are about a dozen male players who move their pitches along at 80 mph
or more and the top three or four can get them up to 84 quite regularly.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that a 15-20 mph
difference in speed results in strikeouts! Those women have never faced
that kind of overpowering speed.

I think I'll check out Roger May's website for some pictures of Paul
Rohmeier in action.

Bob Tomlinson

  From: WisconsinISC at aol.com

  Als Fastball List