[Alsfastball] The Bar of Appleton's Response to Tidbits

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Mon Oct 18 18:35:03 EDT 2004

Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 09:54:58 -0500
From: Tony Schaaf <tschaaf at brillion.k12.wi.us>
Subject: The Bar of Appleton's Response to Tidbits.

The Bar of Appleton wants to clarify their standing on the Dan Konkle
rumors.  Yes, we have tried to make contact with Dan to see if he would
like to pitch for us next season.  Of which we can't reach him.

However we are not in the business of trying to buy pitchers.  As we have
in the past, we have offered young players the opportunity  to come to
Wisconsin and play some very competitive fastpitch.  Many times the players
who come to play for us pay their own way.  We do not pay them to play for
us.  We do help these young players find jobs and provide a host family so
that they can have a place to live.

When we posted that we were looking for a pitcher we received many
interesting responses.  We had a few that told us to put a package together
to let them know what they could get because they were in touch with about
four of five of the other top 10 teams from ISC II.  However we don't have
a "budget" to work with that will enable us to buy pitchers.  While we have
an excellent sponsor who pays for our entries, our players are responsible
financially for their uniforms, hotels, and travel expenses at EVERY
tournament we participate in.

That is why we are playing ISC II.  We don't have the resources to compete
with the Big Boys.

While this may take us out of the running for some high name pitchers, it
does allow us the opportunity to have some young talented individuals play
for us.  Just take a look at the quality of out last two pitchers in Blair
Ezekiel and Gerard Long.  Our problem is once we give them the opportunity
to showcase their talents then they are often offered money to go play for
others.  We also respect their right to try and step up to bigger and
better things with out cutting on the teams that are seeking their
services, and wish them the best if they so choose.  In fact we lost one of
our pitchers and wish him the best even though we would love to have him
back to make a run at the ISC Tournament of Champions title with the exact
same team.  That is why we even chosen to post on the website and tried to
contact Dan because we "heard" he wasn't wanted by his former team.

I hope I haven't upset any followers of softball on Al's, we will never be
in the business of buying players.  We are just a bunch of ballplayers from
Wisconsin who want to play competitive ball, have fun and enjoy the
camaraderie of the sport of softball with others from out the world.  We
wish the best to all the other ISC II teams like Tavistock, Shedden,
Harriston, and  others who we have competed against and look forward to
possibly playing them again.

Yours in softball

Tony Schaaf, Mgr.
The Bar of Appleton