[Alsfastball] Masters Fastball in North America - 2004 recap

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Sun Oct 17 21:43:06 EDT 2004

From: "Dave Birnie" <ranger11 at idirect.com>
To: "Al Doran" <fastball at pmihrm.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 19:01:36 -0400
Subject: Masters Fastball in North America - 2004 recap

Here is a recap for masters fastball in North America and also a look ahead
to 2005.
Some of the thoughts expressed have been related to me throughout the season.
Until recent I have been a member of the Canadian Masters Fastball Association,
the O.A.S.A., player / coach with the Stoney Creek Gators ( Masters ) and
Administrator for the Ontario Masters Fastball web site.

Masters fastball in Ontario seems to be growing each year, numbers are
increasing
and the caliber is getting stronger. It is almost to the point where more
then one
division will be needed at the O.A.S.A. ( Ontario Championship ) tournament.
Maybe there could be 2 divisions, one for competitive and one for
recreational or
possibly one division for 35 year old players and one for 40 year old players.
There has been lots of talk in Ontario about raising the age from 35 to 40.
The general consensus lately has been that 35 year old players should still
be playing
intermediate ball since they are still in their prime. Here in Ontario
masters players
are currently allowed to play both masters and Senior / Open / ISC in the
same year.
This has also generated much discussion, confusion and has left a bad taste
in the mouths
of many. Is it right / fair to play in an ISC level tournament one weekend
and then go
and play in a masters tournament the next weekend ? What if this scenario
applies to
a pitcher ?

Women's Masters Teams ???
There must be some women's teams out there that could form one masters team
from within
their local leagues. I would guess that they don't currently compete at the
provincial level
due to the fact they would face younger players in their prime. Maybe a
Women's Masters
division could be established with all players being 30 or older.

There are several masters tournaments and different governing bodies that
use different
deadlines / dates for age eligibility. I would urge all tournaments and
governing bodies
to adopt the following dates for age eligibility.  Use whatever age(s)  you
currently are using
but make the deadline anytime during the current year. For example, if you
host a masters
tournament in 2005 and your age eligibility is 35 for position players and
40 for pitchers then
anyone who turns 35 / 40 ANYTIME during 2005 is eligible.

The Mitchell Masters lost manager Doug Smith in a tragic car accident in June.
Click the following link to read the article posted by Andy Bader of the
South Perth League.
<http://www.escribe.com/sports/alsfastball/m15125.html>http://www.escribe.com/sports/alsfastball/m15125.html

Masters pitcher, Dave Bedford of the Etobicoke Bingos was named chef de
mission for
Canada at the 2004 Olympics in Athens Greece. Congratulations Dave for
achieving this
prestigious appointment. Click the following link to read the article.
<http://www.slam.ca/Slam020509/oly_2004-sun.html>http://www.slam.ca/Slam020509/oly_2004-sun.html

2004 Masters Tournament Recaps

ASA Masters tournament results and All American selections web site links
available
at <http://eteamz.active.com/omf/>http://eteamz.active.com/omf/

3rd. Annual May Two-Four Blast - Waterloo ( May long weekend )
The Waterloo Classics ( host ) won their 3rd straight " Blast " tournament
championship.
In the championship game the Classics beat the Stoney Creek Gators 8-2.
The other teams entered were, Mitchell, New Hamburg, Toronto, Saugeen and
Oshawa.
Tournament contact Dana
Seiling
<mailto:kardan.waterloo at sympatico.ca>mailto:kardan.waterloo at sympatico.ca
May 2-4 Blast web
site
<http://www.kwfastball.com/may24blast.htm>http://www.kwfastball.com/may24blast.htm

O.A.S.A. Masters ( Ontario Championship )
Held July 23 -25 in beautiful Port Perry Ont.
A record 15 teams competed for provincial bragging rights and berths to the
2004 Canadian
Masters Fastball Championship. In their first year on the masters scene the
Alvinston Indians
claimed Gold by beating the Colborne Rutherflo Masters 4-2 in the final.
Alvinston swept
through the tournament undefeated behind workhorse pitcher Doug Charlton.
Many former and current fastball greats were assembled by Frank Schram to
play for the
Cloyne Creepers as part of a reunion/ celebration weekend. Canadian
fastball legend Pete Landers
came out of retirement for this tournament and he suited up with Chris
Jones, Terry Challis,
Dave Hoffman, Jim Cowdrey, Glen Ford and Dick Bosher.
Click the following link to see complete tournament results.
<http://eteamz.active.com/omf/news/index.cfm?subsite=1069572&cat=0#news2432058>http://eteamz.active.com/omf/news/index.cfm?subsite=1069572&cat=0#news2432058

18th Annual World Senior Fastball Tournament
Sep. 2-5 / 2004 North Bay Ont.
Manotick Lormor Printers won the " AA " championship defeating the Cold
Springs Cats 3-2
in the final. Click the following link to read about Manotick's championship.
<http://www.baytoday.ca/content/sports/details.asp?c=4719>http://www.baytoday.ca/content/sports/details.asp?c=4719
I'm still waiting for results from this tournament to post to the Ontario
Masters Fastball web site ???
Tournament contact Dave
Cerisano  <mailto:cerisdav at onlink.net>cerisdav at onlink.net
This is an excellent tournament that attracts 32 teams every year, where
are the masters teams from
New York, Michigan, Quebec etc. ?

Canadian Masters Fastball Championship
The Canadian Masters Fastball Association was formed in 2004. Their goal
was to host a
Canadian Masters Championship which they somehow accomplished in virtually
no time.
This tournament was an absolute huge success which was professionally
organized and was first class
all the way. The CMFA enlisted some of the top fastball people in Ontario
to be in control once the
tournament started. The host team, Colborne Rutherflo masters won the Gold
medal defeating the
Stoney Creek Gators 1-0 in the final. Click the following link to see
complete results including 1st.
and 2nd. Team All - Canadian Awards.
<http://eteamz.active.com/omf/index.cfm?subsite=1069572#news2477258>http://eteamz.active.com/omf/index.cfm?subsite=1069572#news2477258
The Canadian Masters Fastball Association Executive members for 2004 were
Wayne Wells ( President, )
Dave Birnie ( Vice President, ) Sylvia Ryan ( Secretary, ) Alex Rutherford
( Treasurer ) and Brian
Meier ( Western Canada Rep.)  This tournament became a reality because of
the hard work and determination of
many people outside the CMFA Executive. The person who deserves the most
credit for making this
tournament happen is Alex Rutherford. Alex was the driving force and did a
tremendous amount of work
behind the scenes with little or no acknowledgement. Thanks Alex for
putting this great tournament on the map.
Alex put this tournament together with a 2 year plan in mind so plan on
attending the 2005 Canadian Masters
Fastball Championship in Cobourg Ontario. A women's division is a real
possibility for 2005.
Tournament contact Alex Rutherford
<mailto:rutherfordfinancial at bellnet.ca>rutherfordfinancial at bellnet.ca

Eastern Canadian Masters Championship
Sep 10 -12 / 2004
Tournament was cancelled, not enough teams entered.
Planning on having the tournament earlier in 2005, possibly in August to
attract teams from Ontario.
Ontario teams had 2 options without traveling outside the province in Sep.
North Bay World Senior Tournament and Canadian Championship both held over
Labour Day weekend
which eliminates any chance of going to Eastern Canada the following weekend.

NAFA World Series - Masters Division
Benjie Hedgecock, NAFA Executive Director, announced the first ever NAFA
Men's Masters World Series
to be held in Reno, Nevada Oct. 9 - 10 / 2004. Three divisions, 35 - over,
45 - over and 55 - over.
In my opinion this was a great announcement and was long overdue, the only
problem was the
announcement came on very short notice. The date is ideal and the location
is also very attractive.
Did this tournament get off the ground ? Have not heard any results but
would welcome any information
about this tournament. Web site
<http://www.nafafastpitch.com/>http://www.nafafastpitch.com/
Benjie Hedgecock, NAFA Executive Director at
<mailto:Nafafastpitch at aol.com>Nafafastpitch at aol.com or call 503-864-4487
ext 211.

2005 Tournaments

2005 offers something for everyone and maybe some conflicts for some teams
and tournament organizers.
There are a couple of  " once in a lifetime " tournaments that teams will
be considering for 2005.

World Masters Games
The World Masters Games will take place in Edmonton Alberta from July 23 -
30 which is in direct conflict
with the O.A.S.A ( Ontario ) Championship. This is a week long tournament (
5 games minimum ) so some teams
may not have the budget or interest to enter many or any other tournaments.
Web site <http://www.2005worldmasters.com/>http://www.2005worldmasters.com/

World Vintage Softball Carnival
Be Part of the Inaugural World Vintage Softball Carnival.
Central Oahu Regional Park, Oahu, Hawaii - October 23 to 30, 2005.
The first World Vintage Softball Carnival featuring Fastpitch will be
hosted in Hawaii, arguably the
warmest, friendliest islands in the Pacific.
Web site
<http://www.vintagesoftball.com/fastpitch/welcome_to_hawaii.htm>http://www.vintagesoftball.com/fastpitch/welcome_to_hawaii.htm
Contact  Don Meinel, Commissioner of Hawaii Amateur Softball Association.
Bus. Phone: (808) 523 4757 Home Phone: (808) 595 8763 Fax: (808) 595 8763
E-mail: <mailto:tamco at hgea.org>tamco at hgea.org

2006

The I.S.C. World Tournament returns to Kitchener, Ontario in 2006 and
rumours indicate interest
in adding a masters division.

Make sure to visit the Ontario Masters Fastball web site often for all your
masters fastball news
from Ontario and
beyond    <http://eteamz.active.com/omf/>http://eteamz.active.com/omf/

At a recent league championship tournament I heard some great advice from
the president during the award
presentations. He simply said to all players on the field to thank your
team reps.
Don't just thank your team reps, thank your league reps. umpire reps. etc.
This great game survives because of great volunteers who give of their
valuable time.

I have recently retired from my own team, the Stoney Creek Gators and I
have also chosen to decline from
returning to the Canadian Masters Fastball Association and the O.A.S.A. for
2005.
Being a part of the CMFA was one of the most enjoyable experiences of my
life and something I am very proud of.

Looking forward to any feedback.

Yours in Sport

Dave Birnie