[Alsfastball] University of Ottawa Softball (Women)

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Wed Oct 20 21:48:25 EDT 2004

From: "Scott Searle" <Scottsearle at rogers.com>
To: "Al Doran" <fastball at pmihrm.com>
Subject: University of Ottawa Softball (Women)
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 21:47:00 -0400

 From today's Orleans Star.
<http://www.neighbourhoodnews.ca/287354373172966.php>http://www.neighbourhoodnews.ca/287354373172966.php

   Keep watching for more updates this week as the team prepares to defend
its title this weekend at the RA Center in Ottawa.  For more information
please visit the teams website at
<http://www.eteamz.com/ottawaufastpitch>www.eteamz.com/ottawaufastpitch
For fans in Ottawa remember to come out and cheer on the Gee Gees this
weekend.  The team plays its first game 9:00 Saturday morning against Brock
University.

Orleans Rebels position Gee Gees to repeat as softball champs
By Joanne Macdonald

Two members of the Orleans Rebels fastball team have helped power the
University of Ottawa Women's Softball Gee Gees into the playoffs in a bid
to repeat as champions of the Ontario Intercollegiate Women's Fastball
Association.

Scott Searle, one of the team's coaches, said Lindsey Hutton and Sarah
Thompson are a "very welcome addition" to the Gee Gees.

"These new additions give the team an excellent chance to repeat this
year," said Searle.

He said Hutton, a pitcher, has had a "very impressive" 2.04 ERA, "while
holding opposing batters to a paltry .229 batting average."

Thompson, meanwhile, "has been strong as well with a .385 batting average
and six RBIs."

The Gee Gees clinched the league's Eastern Division crown in early October
and will host the OIWFA Championship on Oct. 23 and 24 at the RA Centre in
Ottawa. The league's eight top teams will compete for the championship in a
round robin tournament. To date, only the Gee Gees, the University of
Toronto, the University of Guelph, McMaster University and Brock University
have clinched a playoff spot.

As softball is not yet a varsity sport, there is no national competition
established for provincial champions.

Thompson, who plays third base and is a catcher, is in her first year of
health science studies. She began playing softball at age 7.

Although she's also played basketball, volleyball and been on track and
field teams, her first love is softball.

"When I was a kid, I played house league for three years with all of my
close friends," said Thompson, 18. "But I love winning and I'm really
competitive. I find it more fun to play a game that's more intense."

The Gee Gees are "pretty good defensively and we have really good bats,"
said Thompson, who hits left.

And while she admitted the team could be more consistent with its hitting,
she thinks the team's chances of successfully defending its provincial
title are "pretty good."

Added Thompson: "I think we'll hit our high point when we need to."

Hutton, in her first year of nursing, has played ball for 11 years. She's
always been a pitcher, and has also played competitive basketball and touch
football.

She only has time for softball now, due to the demands of university and
her part-time job at a physiotherapy clinic. But she says she's enjoyed her
rookie year playing university level softball.

"I just find your personal achievement is satisfying. If I pitch a good
game, I'm happy with myself and with what I've done for the team," she said.

She rates the Gee Gees as a team that plays "high quality ball," with
particular strengths in overall hitting, bunting and solid fielding. Their
toughest competition when the team tries to defend its title on Oct. 23-24?
Hutton predicts it will be the University of Toronto.

"As a rookie, I've had a really good year so far," she said. "Playing
university sports is an amazing thing to do."

Media Inquries please contact Scott Searle at: 837-0787

  Als Fastball List
*Email: fastball at pmihrm.com