[Alsfastball] Kohlhase calls on wise heads for support

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Thu Oct 21 23:48:54 EDT 2004

Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 16:19:33 +1300 e": ;
From: SNZ Web-master <snz-webm at vanf-graphics.co.nz>
Subject: Kohlhase calls on wise heads for support

Kohlhase calls on wise heads for support team

Friday October 22nd

Experience and success is a feature of the new support team for the New
Zealand Community Trust Black Sox announced today by head coach Eddie Kohlhase.

While Kohlhase will take on the head coach role he has called on a number
of Black Sox legends in his quest to keep the New Zealand team at the top
of the world.

Joining the support team are Fred Wyatt from Wellington as offensive coach
and Eric Wilson and Dave Workman both from Hutt Valley as support coaches.
The trio were all part of the Black Sox teams during the 1980's and 1990's
and know what it takes to win international softball.

"Dave and Eric have a huge level of experience in terms of the basic
fundamentals of the game and they will have a particular emphasis on
getting next to the guys and mentoring them in terms of what it takes to
get to the next level," said Kohlhase.

Another feature of the coaching team is the inclusion of 2004 World
Championship winning pitcher Jim Wana as pitching and defensive coach.

"Jim and Fred, along with the others already mentioned, complement my
strengths and weaknesses in terms of technical expertise.  All bring a huge
amount of integrity and creditability to the Black Sox through the
experience they have from playing at the highest level and the range of
coaching roles they have been involved in previously." said Kohlhase.

Other appointments include the retention of manager Grant McCarroll who has
been in the position since 1998 and video analyst Helen Townsend. In a new
appointment there will also be an overseas selector with former Black Sox
pitcher Paul Algar who is based in America taking on the role.

"Having overseas representation is very important, there is a huge exodus
of players to North America each year and Paul brings a huge amount of
respect to the Black Sox programme," said Kohlhase.

New Zealand Softball chairman Dale Eagar says the quality of the coaching
and management support provided through the team Kohlhase has gathered
together, is really exciting with the experience and knowledge to take the
Black Sox to even greater heights in the international game.

"We (New Zealand Softball) support Eddie 100%. We are there to provide all
the support we can to carry on what has been established with the Black
Sox, and further enhance it in the future," said Eagar.

While Kohlhase has named a support team to take the Black Sox through to
the Evodrive Pacific Cup series next year and beyond Eagar says this is the
first step in guaranteeing a succession plan for these positions and
further support will be sought in the future from amongst the growing
number of quality coaches we have in the game.

By SNZ Media Liaison: Kelly Mitchell
*  mailto:kelly.mitchell at xtra.co.nz

http://www.softball.org.nz/
* mailto:snz at softball.org.nz