[Alsfastball] Canada takes 3rd place after win today at World University Championship

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Fri Oct 29 16:19:14 EDT 2004

From: "Lisette Johnson-Stapley" <lstapley at softball.ca>
To: <"Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@mail.business.allstream.net>
Subject: Canada takes 3rd place after win today at World University
Championship
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 14:07:57 -0400

For immediate release

October 29, 2004

Canada takes 3rd place after win today at World University Championship

(Ottawa, ON)  Canada takes 3rd place after beating the Netherlands 3-0 in
their last game of round robin play at the World University Championships
in Plant City, Florida.  Canada's World University Team now moves on to
play Japan in the first round of playoffs.  Japan defeated Australia 1-0 in
8 innings to clench 4th and send the Aussies into the consolation round.

“We are really happy with the round robin results for our team,” stated
Head Coach Noreen Murphy.  “We met our first step in the championships
which was to get to the qualifying round.  Now we are concentrating on
winning tomorrow’s game against Japan,” added Coach Murphy.

“We are very excited to take on Japan,” said short stop Noémie Marin, who
had a triple in today’s game.  “We have been playing hard offensively and
defensively and have had great pitching behind us.  We have made few errors
and are hitting the ball well,” added Marin.

Canada took care of business early in the game when they scored their first
runs in the first inning.  Erin Gee singled and was followed by Noémie
Marin who drove Gee in when she ripped a triple.  Janiva Willis then hit a
double to drive in Marin to make it 2-0 for Canada.  In the 2nd inning,
Katy Van Deveire singled, stole 2nd base and then scored on Shannon
Rossiter’s double.    Canada’s dominant pitching kept the Netherlands
players off the bases.  Sarah Belanger dominated the Netherlands with her
pitching performance throwing 6 out of 7 innings, giving up 2 hits, 1 walk
and struck out 6 batters.  Megan Mackenzie threw the 7th inning and gave up
1 hit and had 1 strikeout.

Hits came from Janiva Willis (single and double, RBI), Noémie Marin
(triple), Katy Van Deveire (2 singles), Shannon Rossiter (double, RBI),
Melanie Matthews (double), Erin Gee (single).

Final placing

1st - Chinese Taipei

2nd - USA

3rd - Canada

4th - Japan

5th - Australia

In other action, Japan beat Australia 1-0 in 8 innings to secure 4th place
and send the Aussies into consolation.

Canada will now play Japan at 6pm in sudden death playoff action tomorrow
Saturday October 30th.  Chinese Taipei will face off against the USA at 8pm
tomorrow.

Team Canada's Roster (University in brackets):

Cathy Andrijaszyn (Thomas University, Georgia), Richmond, BC - P

Sarah Belanger (Florida International University), Winnipeg, MB - P/1B

Erin Gee, Vancouver (Simon Fraser University), BC - OF

Tamra Howren (Troy University, Alabama), Surrey, BC - C

Cari Irwin, Burnaby (Simon Fraser University), BC - OF

Megan MacKenzie (University of Akron, Ohio), North Delta, BC - P/Infield

Melanie Matthews (Stetston University, Florida), Surrey, BC -C/OF

Cambria McKay (Kennesaw State, Georgia), Brampton, ON - C/1B

Noémie Marin (University Minnesota Duluth), Acton Vale, QC - SS/2B

Erin McLean (Simon Fraser University), Whitby, ON - Utility

Tiffany Patteson (Ohio Youngstown), Guelph, ON - 2B/SS

Katie Rosentreter (Mercer University, Georgia), Winnipeg, MB - P

Shannon Rossiter (Simon Fraser University), Surrey, BC - 3B

Katy Van Deveire (University of Connecticut), Brandon, MB - OF

Janiva Willis (Winthrop University, North Carolina), Irishtown, NB - OF

Mindi Wylie (Virginia Tech), Surrey, BC - 1B

Team Staff

Noreen Murphy, Saskatoon, SK Head Coach

Jerry Dugger, Coquitlam, BC - Assistant Coach

Ian Belyea, Saskatoon, SK - Assistant Coach

Rocky Larson, Calgary, AB - Team Leader

Karen Craven, Saskatoon, SK - Therapist

The World University Softball Championship is taking place in Plant City,
Florida (ISF Headquarters) and is featuring the best University aged
athletes from 8 countries.  Initially there were 10 participating countries
however Russia and Uganda have dropped out.  Teams will now play a revised
schedule of seven round robin games and will qualify for either the
championship or consolation round.

Playoff Schedule:

Friday October 29
6:00 7th VS 8th - Consolation Game (29)
8:00 5th VS 6th - Consolation Game (30)

Saturday October 30, 2004
1:00 Winner 29 VS Loser 30 (31)
3:00 Winner 30 VS Winner 31 (32)

6:00 3rd (Canada) vs 4th (Japan) (33)
8:00 1st (Chinese Taipei) vs 2nd (USA) (34)

SUNDAY October 31, 2004
BRONZE MEDAL GAME:
11:00 Winner 33 VS Loser 34 (35)

GOLD MEDAL GAME:
1:30 Winner 34 VS Winner 35

-          30 –

For more information, please contact Lisette Johnson Stapley, Marketing &
Communications Director with Softball Canada at 613-523-3386 ext. 3105,
Cel. 613-795-1996 or
<mailto:lstapley at softball.ca>lstapley at softball.ca.  Daily releases and
scores will be posted on Softball Canada's Official Website at
<http://www.softball.ca>www.softball.ca

Lisette Johnson Stapley
Directrice du Marketing & Communications Director
Softball Canada
2197 Promenade Riverside Drive
Ottawa, ON  K1H 7X3
Tel. (613) 523-3386 ext. 3105