[Alsfastball] Calgary Answers those who Say we are Dead

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Sat Nov 20 17:40:31 EST 2004

From: PeterJPorcelli at aol.com
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 14:23:32 EST
Subject: Calgary Answers those who Say we are Dead
To: aldoran at pmihrm.com, PeterJPorcelli at aol.com

Calgary Diamonds Fight Off Extinction Rumors While Being Overrun by Newfies

       Boy oh boy has it been an interesting off season thus far. First we
the Calgary Diamonds found ourselves parading the third place ISC trophy
all over North America like it was the Stanley Cup. Man I gotta tell ya
this team really enjoyed the third place finish. The Green Mile saw many a
Diamond player partying long after Fargo had finished its hospitable, yet
poorly attended grand event.  Can’t remember the last time I enjoyed a
tourney where two teams beat us. But given the entire tourney, we have no
regrets.

      It was a more satisfying  finish than the fourth my Smokers took in
1999. Talk about challenges, after winning the world title in 1998, we lose
David Boys, Todd Martin,  Darren Zack, Steve Schott, Boomer Brush, Barry
Kahler,  Todd King, Trent Rubley, all at once. Only Jaybo and Brian Paton
of the 1998 Smoker starters remained, but we did have up and comers in Rob
Gray, Dean Holoien and Todd Budke, and we took a hard earned  fourth place
as the New York Smokers. So, given the circumstances, our third place
finish by the Calgary Diamonds was one to cherish for the off season, but
wait
..

      Shortly after I got home , and frankly thought I had seen it all, I
come to find out that certain individuals decided suddenly to go golfing in
Fargo, and celebrate the 3rd place finish,  but never found the golf
course. By the time it was over they had drank a bit too much and  damaged
the  golf cart. Then, surprisingly, there was angst expressed over having
to pay for the damage.  We even got a phone call of support from former
President Clinton. Why did he call?  You see, President Clinton was once
unfairly accused of something he really did, too!

      Then all the roster rules started getting batted around and we are
trying to figure out if our team was built to handle the new rules or we
have an instantly outdated roster to compete with the changes apparently
being implemented. We search high and low for that pitcher not on the
“list.”  We met some extraordinary candidates and then, POOF! Almost as
soon as it started, it is gone.

      Next we lose our ace, Andrew to County Materials, and the applicants
to replace him start flooding in. We were very flattered with all the
attention we got. One name stood out. Grant Patterson, real character guy!
I am a big Grant Patterson fan. He is an excellent pitcher and I like the
way this guy handles himself. No, we did not get to sign him, but I gotta
tell you, dealing with Grant was a pleasure.

      I know I have stated before that Kelly Wenstrom gets my vote for
General Manager of the decade. He does. But let me say, I have been blessed
with great Gen Mgrs., and that statement was in no way meant to take away
from the two other Legends I have had the honor of working under (in Mike
Mink’s case), or honour (in Harvey Stevenson’s case). Mike traveled to
New Zealand and then to Canada to build the Smokers into one of the all
time greatest teams ever to play the sport. Harv Sr. combined the Smokers
with an even more storied program, Victoria and gave us the most exposure
in one year any team has had in the last 20 years.He gave me the chance to
win and I did not come through. Between Dominica, the AAU, National teams,
hosting the Skins, attending the ASA, ISC, and much more, Stevenson both
promoted the club team with one hand, scouted all the young talent, and
made the Canadian National Team go as well. Helped me enormously as a
person as well.

      What Kelly Wenstrom has done, though with Calgary is different. He
has operated with 20% of the budget that the aforementioned teams had. He
has put together a team in Calgary, and if we win it all this year,
Wenstrom will have built  the first ISC Champ based in Canada in the last
ten years and only the second ever. Long known for his teaching the sport
to youngsters, and his excellent bat as a player, his GM skills are perhaps
the true MVP asset this team has. Not bad for a guy vaguely rumored to have
been a male dancer at one time.

      In 2005 the Calgary Diamonds proudly roll out their roster and
schedule for all to see.

It has take a bit of time, some thought we had vacated the planet, folded
etc. but none of that is true. We are alive, kicking, bitching, and ready
to compete toe to toe with the rest of the world as soon as anyone is ready
to throw the ball in anger.

      Don’t get me wrong, this team is Cinderella again, but we will not
back down from any foe. We may be underfunded, have less than the requisite
seven uniforms I beg them to buy each year, talk different than Ontarians,
eat way too much salmon, drink as much beer and will share the Real
Stampede with our brothers in the sport this year, having a tourney during
that special Calgary time in 2005. First the roster.

      Most rosters start with pitching. Our pitching will start with Frank
Cox and Sean Whitten. First Whitty. He is Newfie born and has fabulous
parents, but he is Calgary raised and tutored. Kelly looks at Sean as his
most successful development of a top pitcher. Whitty  blew away the County
Materials team in 2002 at the ISC and only gave them one run in 2004,and
almost got us to the final. Our offense and batters did not come through
against the Z man. Many of you ask why I don’t  just give credit to
Darren for pitching 14 scoreless innings against us. I asked Z man what was
the reason for it myself. His reply: “It was right there, man, I put it
right there for ‘yuz’.”

      We all know that is Darren Zack’s personal version of “Aw
shucks.” And he always uses that same line when referring to his
vanquished as long as I have known the big guy. Besides, he was also
pitching for us at the Canuck Nats. I mean, what was he going to do, tell
his Calgary Canadian National Teammates he ate them up at the ISC and pound
his chest?

      You know, many have asked me why Darren did not have a tougher time
with us at the ISC, considering he knew he was pitching for us at
the  Canadian National Tourney days later. By the way, he will pitch again
for us in St.Thomas in 2005. The best way to answer that is to ask the
following question: Do you think maybe if Jeffrey Daumer was  a vegetarian
he would not have committed all those murders in Milwaukee? Back to Whitty.

       Sean Whitten may be the one to deliver the final outs if we win the
ISC this year. We have that much confidence in him, he is unusually steel
nerved, and few or our opponents have their timing mastered to hit his
pitches. Sean is simply amazing, but relatively unknown compared to our new
pitcher, Frank Cox.

      I have known Frank for 11 years and we have been friends for at least
eight. We have wanted to be teammates for about five of those eight, and
now we get our chance. Coming off two consecutive World Titles, I submit to
you, this man as the best pitcher in existence. He is as competitive as
anyone and as intelligent as well. Frankie is cerebral to the point where
he already watches my p’s and q’s and I have not even started coaching
him yet.

      I can tell you, Frank is a little nuts, but in a very good way for
his team. Fearless leader. Should have been cast as Alexander The Great
instead of Brad Pitt.   He also has no problem toeing up, Al. That is MY
pitcher you were talking about! At least WE have him now. I will boldly
tell the readership right to its face that I think he is a better pitcher
than the pitcher we lost, Andrew. However
¦
. I will also tell you that
Andrew brought a credibility to our team that no  player before him did. We
will ALWAYS BE INDEBTED to Andrew. Just ask him, we still owe him money!
(just kidding)….

      Then there is Ryan Brand. Probably the most gifted of the three,
Brando has struck terror in the hearts of his opponents during his meteoric
rise in the early years of his career, but that jackrabbit start  has
now  given way  to  more balance of business career and family
responsibilities. But even now, a bit anxious to compete, he has been a top
recruited pitcher on the modified circuit, and we welcome him back to pitch
in the ISC for us in 2005. Did I mention he was with us for the fourth
place finish in 1999? That is when I first met him. What a player!  Quite
ironically, Brando is also the individual that called me and invited me to
apply for the manager’s job in Calgary in 2003. His teammates have yet to
forgive him.

      So those are our pitchers. We feel we have the best pitching staff in
the sport, hands down going into 2005. Yet we  will still go by the name of
Cinderella in 2005.

      Catching is always the important position to look to after the
pitching. With Craig Horsewell, we had a dandy. He possesses one of the
best arms ever, is aggressive and a great team guy. But the travel for this
teacher made it too tough on his family and he needs to be in British
Columbia. So we lose Craig back to the Grey Sox. Take one giant step
forward, Vancouver. It was meant to be. Much the same way I could not stay
in Victoria. Too far. Yet Alberta is not. Ironic but true. I love Calgary,
it is the best thing that has happened to me in the past two years of my
life. But I would never have left Victoria if I did not have to. It was
simply for distance reasons. We wish Horsey well.   .

     Enter Sean O’Brien. But first, let us travel back to Victoria in
2002, the Canadian National team has just played a super series against the
Smokers and the World Cup final is on the next morning at 5:30 AM. . I have
this guy buying me hard drinks, throwing his arm around my shoulder with
affection, cracking me up with his humor, charming me with his manner and
friendliness,  all after having crushed me with two home runs in the only
game the Canadian National team was to win that weekend. It was Also the
only one he played in. Well I am sure you know by now this is just standard
procedure in Newfoundland and Labradour. But it is most unusual for me, a
southeastern United States man, where world cup soccer is as unfamiliar as
Newfies are.

      Sean O’Brien has a dad, Jerry, who is such a promoter…..he  makes
me blush! And see him for a good deal on jewelry as well! He changes his
baseball cap to fit the team his particular son playing on as he watches
each game in the stands. And Jerry does it all with style.

      Enough peripherals. Sean is the smartest catcher in the game. And in
my opinion, the  one that reminds me of the great Tim Wahl as far as
thinking through the game from his position. His hitting and defense stand
out and he will be counted on by us, to be in the meat of our batting
order, but it is his handling of the pitchers that makes him the best in
the world. Dare I say, Patrick Shannon has better tools and physical talent
to work with, but Sean is the guy I relate to. He is also largely
responsible for the development of Ryan Brand  from the Grand Prairie days.

      Sean is a motivator. Competitor, cool and calculating. He will break
your concentration when you step into the batter’s box, if you let him,
with pleasant conversation. He used to verbally spar with me so much, that
I had to think up the most outrageous things I could imagine just to hang
with him, when the time came.

      Now let’s turn to the infield. At first base we have the best
hitter in the game in Trent Rubley, because he has not had a bad showing in
the past two years, topping it off with ISC leading hitter at the  2004
ISC, an honor he shared with Rhys Cassley. But with Trent Rubley you also
get the first baseman to drool over, he is so good there and with his
experience, you know you have the best of  both worlds, hitting and defense.

      Second base was a position we had to address with the departure of
Keith Mackintosh. When you need something done, ask a busy man. When you
are in a jam in fastpitch, call a Newfie. Darrell Joy is our man. DJ is one
of the best athletes in the game and one of the smartest. His smooth
fielding and viscous hitting, combined with that charismatic smile and
mental toughness makes him an All World candidate before he takes the field
this year. Oh, I forgot to mention his speed. With Patty and Keith
Mackintosh at the top of our batting order in 2004, we were a tremendous
scoring threat , but not a running threat. With DJ, we now have both. If we
had a fast guy on third in the first inning of the second to last game at
the ISC last year, we go to the final, not County. Fastpitch is a game of
adjustments. We make the adjustment here with DJ in the lineup.

      David Boys is our shortstop, and our leader again this year and has
vowed to go out on top. He is going through a disciplined conditioning
regiment this year and will be even better. I think of him as the
“A-Rod” of our sport. Best ever to play at his position.

      Our third baseman is Rick Rosychuk. Rozi promises to return with a
vengeance, having seen his business commitments steal from us over the past
two years, including a turn of events that forced him to go home during the
ISC last year. This player is as steady as they get at third, if he gets
his hands on the ball, the runner is out. Hitting for Rozi has been
streaky, but has come against the absolute best pitching the sport has to
offer, if Rozi is on, it don’t matter who is pitching, if he is not, he
moves runners and finds a way to make the at bat meaningful. Complete
player. Fabulous team guy. His straight faced humor causes you to double
over with laughter, once you have heard his punch line. He is a character,
humble, yet to have this guy on your team is a treat. Says few words. Means
what he says. Not afraid to speak when speaking is awful tough. Rozi will
be one of the guys that make the difference if we are to ascend to
immortality this year.

      Last year I wrote an article and introduced Greg “Scrappy”
Crawford and Tony Cross to the world of Non-Western Canadians. Scrappy went
on to earn first team All World Honors and has been heavily recruited by
our opponents for the coming year. He has been offered some eye opening
sums, but opts for staying with Calgary, playing for free, and get
this

.his resourcesces are contributed to the team budget. Calgary is a
player funded team. All sponsorship money comes from at least eight of the
rostered players.

Lose a player and you lose a sponsorship as well. But lose Scrappy, and
lose your heart and soul. Scrap hits huge home runs, gets almost every bunt
down, rips base hits on 0-2 counts, walks, gets deep in the count, picks
other players up and provides the nutrition info for our players. He owns a
gym, makes the single girls giggle and they find him captivating. We find
him simply amazing, he shrugs and says it is all in a day’s work.

He also pitches the BP. Talk about a team player, this gut makes you search
for new words when writing an article. So please never complain about the
length of my articles. I got guys like Scrappy to talk about.

      If scrappy is the “Ying,” Tony Cross is the “Yang.” Tony has
speed, Tony is a great defensive outfielder. Has the good arm. Tony is a
thinking man’s player. Our center fielder.   Tony has spurned many
opportunities to join the Canadian National team due to work related
conflicts. Calgary has not gotten the honor of his presence for more than
half of any year since I have been there. This year he will be there every
week. Look out. Tony’s up to bat will mean many of a fielder will have to
be on their toes. Basepaths are short with Tony running. He slaps, bunts,
hits screaming line drives and the occasional home run. No pitcher will get
a break from the number nine hitter this year, it is Tony a leadoff hiding
in the number nine slot. On base percentages with Tony are downright scary.
Look for Tony to join Scrappy this year as All World, and remember who
predicted it. Better still, just call me a blow hard, and watch Tony beat
you five different ways.

      Ask Doc Simmons who his best hitter was last year as Broken Bow won
yet another world title and he will tell you it was Michael “Butch”
Taylor. Butch homered an average of  every nine at bats and the last I
looked, Broken Bow had no intermediate teams on their schedule. His hitting
is truly amazing! Taylor came from the Owen Sound class that produced both
Rob Gray and Ryan Wolfe. Taylor belongs in that mix and has something to
prove. I predict that Mike will influence more wins for the Calgary team
this year than any other position player. He adds the deep ball threat that
Calgary has had to work on and started with the acquisition of Boomer Brush
last year. With O’Brien, Brush, and now Taylor, the Diamonds will trot
home more than ever.

      Taylor also has the arm to hose such runners as Paul Rosebush, who
found out last year what Mike can do with the ball when he is challenged.
Butch is so ambitious, he travels all the way to Calgary, continuing his
stardom and to go for three ISC titles in a row, something that has not
been accomplished for over twenty years by any player.

      Boomer Brush is our DP, but wants to play his share of outfield, and
is visiting with David Boys in Illinois to get on a work out and nutrition
regiment. The guy who used to ask if you ever saw a deer stretch when you
inquired about loosening up before a game has decided to go all out this
year. With retirement looming for myself, Boys, Rubley, and Brush as well,
it is important we give our best and make this year the one to remember for
time to come. Boomer has responded and has given the team a lift with the
news. Many will snicker when reading this article, but see how many smirk
when Boomer is at bat against them this year.  Don’t worry, Boomer
won’t hurt you before the season next year, so you have time to enjoy
life between now and then. But opponents beware, Boomer will be Boomer this
year.

      Devo Neelands will not give up on his World Title aspirations. He
will be our utility infielder, and has the respect of his peers on the
field and at bat. Devo contributes more ways than one can count. He gets
the bunt down, gets key hits, always makes the play in the field and turns
double plays. Few teams can say they have a good DP combo, but with devo in
there, the DP’s just seem to come. All kinds. He tags runners and throws
out the batter at first. He takes the ground ball, touches second, throws a
bullet to first. He snares the line drive and flips to the base, doubling
the runner off. Call him “DP” Neelands, not Devo. Warms up pitchers.
When Rubes came to the team, Devo offered Trent his number 20. Rubes
declined out of respect, for this cornerstone of our roster. Instead the
wise cracking Rubley told Devo that he would also wear 20. Devo scratched
his head when Rubes assured him he would wear 20 too.  Trent made good on
his promise taking the field wearing “22.” One more thing
..When you
heear that familiar “EEE-HAH” in the Calgary dugout during games this
year, it is our Calgary  dugout stampede, you may notice it is Devo who
starts it every time. Can’t keep him down.

      Calgary has the Kazuiks, the brother tandem of Garnett and Sheldon.
Garnett is polished, a team leader, a deep ball hitter and a former pro
hockey player who brings the intensity to every game we play. He saw
limited time  in games last year, and still managed to notice the
unnoticed, he expected the unexpected and kept our minds on what was
important throughout. Garnett is the most fearless player I have ever
known. He is too important to this team to possibly convey on paper, those
who know him, already know what I say, but count on Garnett to contribute
more now that we shrink our roster by three in 2005. He knows we will count
on him more, and the G-man will still coordinate our budget, our PR,
mediate our differences amongst ourselves and stay the guy we all call on
the phone to deal with the tough situations as they occur. But Garnett is a
player, and play he will with Calgary. So look for Garnett in the lineup
when you watch us, over. He is also the guy in the picture with the banana
in Amsterdam.

      Sheldon is so fast that it is easy to ask him to run in every close
situation. Problem is that Shelly hits the ball with power and also covers
so much outfield that he makes you rethink your defensive scheme when he is
not in there. Sheldon joins Garnett as sponsors, has key connections in
getting the Stampede Tourney going this year, and also had the time to get
me tickets to see the Lightning play the Flames in the Stanley Cup final
last June. Sheldon is our “enforcer” and will raise the intensity of
any game we might      potentially sleepwalk in, God  forbid, as fast as
you can say, “Be ready, Guys.”

      Now to our secret weapon. We have recruited an additional player who
we feel will make a mark on the opposition this year, fresh out of junior
in Western Canada. He is an outfielder, and I am not so sure I want to
divulge who he is just yet, but I will give you a hint
..He is a Newfie. >

      Sadly, Kelly Wenstrom, one of our most consistent hitters will not be
with us at ISC time this year.Our backup catcher and Dp, Kelly will be
coaching the 19u team at the same time as the ISC. But Kelly will be with
us for the season and the Canadians. We will be picking up a highly
talented catcher from Edmonton come  time for the World Tourney, we expect.
We will reveal the name and the Newfie both when the time is right.

    As for predictions, I made one two years ago, claiming that we would
finish in the top fifteen and be competitive. Last year, I stated with
confidence that we would play the last day. We did. This year we go to the
final and maybe win it. Anything can happen so guaranteeing a victory at
this point is premature. But remember, that as Cinderella we won’t be
picked to go to the final, but we will go. I guarantee we will break the
heart of one of the two teams the “experts” say will go and it will be
us, not them, in the final game at ISC time. Then we go for immortality.
Even though we may not have the same talent as the other two teams that are
likely to be ranked above us, and maybe even more teams ranked above us,
but we match up well against those teams and one of them will fall victim
to us, count on it. Crack the whip. Calgary will be there. Others may call
it a horse race, we will call it our Stampede.

      Our real season will start with our Industrial Yards tourney in the
first week of June. We have won the Kelowna tourney each of the past two
years, but do not count it due to the competition. We have won our tourney
each of the last two, and never before 2003.

      Then we travel to Saskatoon for the Ducks Unlimited Skins tourney.
One of the best tourneys of the year.

      Next we have our qualifier and provincials in Alberta, where we will
see our new rival the Black Sox of Saskatoon. Remember their 15th place
finish at the ISC and how I have been touting them for the last two years.
Well now they are the Canadian National Champs as well, and have upgraded
with the likes of Patty Mackintosh from our roster.

    We then go to Eau Claire for the Tourney there, which will be a preview
of this year’s ISC.

      Next home to host the Canadian National team, Broken Bow and still
have an opening for a top ten team that wishes to see Calgary and its
famous Stampede first hand. Partying Women are more prevalent during that
time than Chinook Salmon.

     We then travel east to Monkton and face the Best in the World toe to
toe. I call Monkton the most team friendly venue the entire year. Brian,
the director is an innovator and continues this year making the tourney
even better, if that is possible. Truly he knows no bounds where the effort
for quality is concerned.

      We then have a week to tune up against local teams in Western Canada,
where players who hail from there come back from their U.S. based teams and
play for the local ones. Seeing players such as Jason Severs, pitchers such
as the Tilleys, hitters such as  Boxy and others in the past has made
for  often highly contested battles.

      Then we go to Orillia and the Casino Rama Tourney. We are honored to
be invited, and it will be a homecoming for our Ontario based guys, and a
chance to possible see my good friend Barrie Penman. The Diamonds have
never played there, and I have not coached there since managing the
Victoria team in 2002. It is the part of the season I have most missed
since getting the job in Calgary in 2003. Now we get our cake and eat it as
well. Often, the dress rehearsal for the World Tourney, it replaces Perth,
Neil Fennell and to win it may garner more prestige than any competition
during the regular season.

   In my experience, the “Best of The West” tourney has always been the
classic example of how to get ready for the World Tourney. 2005 will see us
trying to imitate this blueprint when we travel to Vancouver to tune up
against some top elite teams such as Vancouiver Grey Sox, Victoria
Travellers Inn and Portland Di Marini. Those are just a few. We go there
two weeks before the ISC to prepare to rumble in Eau Claire for all the
marbles.

      ISC and Canuck Nats follow. Then the off season to answer tid bits,
relish great moments and lament the few bad ones.

      One last thing, umpiring! Notice how nobody talks about the umpires
in the off season? Well, we do mark their passing when announced. Let us
remember now how indispensable they are and how they seem to improve each
and every year. I thought the officiating this year past was good to
excellent. Also some new faces and out with the old guard. Both the
Canadian directors, Ivan, and Ken for the ISC have done a masterful job
evolving the talent there.

ASA? If there is interest in forming a Tampa Bay Smoker team for the ASA,
lemme know. I have new Smoker uniforms being shipped to me from Victoria
and would be interested in putting a team together, but only have Boomer,
David, Trent, and possibly Frank Cox and OB.

    Well there you have it. I would have gotten this to you earlier, but
did not have the players  signed, and we lost a couple we had interest in
as well, but the cup runneth over so we don’t look back.

      One last thought, I encourage each team to be as forthright as I have
attempted to be, keeping the sport tuned into what you are doing. I do not
see anyone make the effort we do, and frankly most of you take Al and his
List for granted. I tell it all and tell it candidly. I anger some and cut
no corners. But the other teams out there owe the sport your info, it is
not a favor you do us, it is an obligation to communicate for the good of
all. Some day you will talk about the great legendary journalists we had
such as Bob Tomlinson, Al Doran and Jim at Fastpitch West. Contribute and
be counted.

    Oh Roger May

..Where are yWhere are you??? Miss you. Stop counting
your money and speak! Chad Rawn, take a shot at me, I’m turning the other
cheek, man. Rod Peterson and Denny Bruckert, two of the most prolific men
ever in this sport. Never a word penned. Jack Fireman? Are you ok?  Why do
not you contribute now that you are out of the sponsorship game? Never seen
a word from you either. Doc Simmons
..c’mon. You are perhaps the best
athlete and coach that has ever gotten involved in the sport, Mark Smith is
the only one I can think of that has done both with maybe as much class and
distinction. Write to Al. Would love to hear from Terry Baytor. Stan
Hennigar. Thanks for the dinner in Halifax and giving me such an education.
Republish your book. Show us there is more than Tid Bits to look forward
to. Amen.

PetePorcelli II

Reply to <mailto:PeterJPorcelli at Aol.com>PeterJPorcelli at Aol.com

PeterJ.Porcelli,II
Reply to: PETERJPORCELLI at AOL.COM
Peter J. Porcelli, II, LLC.
727-536-9097 Ofc.