[Alsfastball] Selection test at national under 19 boy’s

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Wed Dec 29 01:56:41 EST 2004

Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 19:49:05 +1300
From: SNZ Web-master <snz-webm at vanf-graphics.co.nz>
Subject: Selection test at national under 19 boy’s
  tournament

Selection test at national under 19 boy’s tournament
Wednesday December 29th

New Zealand under 19 boy’s selectors Mark Sorenson, Dion Nukunuku and Paul
Stockford will be keeping a close eye on proceedings at the national under
19 boys tournament at Fraser Park, Lower Hutt from January 3rd ­ 6th.

With the junior world championships to be held in Canada next year New
Zealand under 19 boy’s coach Mark Sorenson says form at the tournament will
part of the selection criteria for the world champs team.

“I will be looking to see how far the players have grown and progressed. We
have an ideal type of players and team we are looking for and we will be
looking to see who will put their hand up,” said Sorenson.

Auckland are the tournaments defending champions and top seeds for this
year’s event. There are nine teams entered in the tournament and Auckland
can expect a tough test if they are to successfully defend the title.

Canterbury and Hutt Valley are seeded two and three respectively followed
by Otago, Hawkes Bay, Wellington, North Harbour, Nelson and Waikato.

Sorenson says he along with his selection panel have been monitoring the
form of players over the last couple of season and while the national under
19 tournament will be an important part of the selection process it won’t
be the only factor.

With Sorenson due to name his 17 man squad for the junior World Champs in
February now is the time for players to impress. Along with the under 19
nationals Sorenson will also be keeping a close eye on performances at the
Men’s National Provincial Cup where a number of potential junior players
will be taking to the diamond.

“I am keen to see as many players as possible playing at the highest level
for their own personal development. With the under 19’s tournament and the
NPC going on this is a busy time for players and there is a lot of
opportunity to view players and see how they handle the different levels of
the game,” said Sorenson.

By SNZ Media Liaison: Kelly Mitchell
*  mailto:kelly.mitchell at xtra.co.nz

http://www.softball.org.nz/