[Alsfastball] ISC - Power Pool Concept Scores A Hit – But Not With Everyone

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Fri Aug 19 23:05:06 EDT 2005

Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 21:52:58 -0500
To: "Al's Fastball List" <fastball at pmihrm.com>
From: Bret Baughman <stats4u at iscfastpitch.com>

Power Pool Concept Scores A Hit – But Not With Everyone

“I didn’t like the idea at first”

“Initially I was shocked”

“Don’t mind it as much as when I first saw it”

“I still like the double elimination better”

Those are some of the comments heard around the
park in Eau Claire from fans and players as they
shared their feelings about the “power pool”
concept for the round robin portion of the 2005 ISC World Tournament.

Jerry Stangl 73 year old retired postal employee
from Coon Rapids, Iowa, has been coming with his
wife to the World Tourney for over 35 years.

“We plan our vacation around it.” Says
Stangl.  And how does he feel about the latest wrinkle in the format?

“I didn’t like the idea at first, but having seen
it in action I like it a lot better. It gave the
non-power teams a better chance of making the
playoffs” says Stangl. “I still like the old
style (double elimination) better, but with the
new format you get a chance to watch some better games early.”

Phil Reimer of Landmark, (“the fastball hotbed of
Manitoba”) calls the power pool format “fine – it
has cut down on the number of mercy games” Reimer
is watching his first World Tournament. He
questions whether there are “too many teams”

Carl Lind of Crystal Falls, Michigan, has been
coming to the tournament for 15 years. His
reactions: “I was shocked when I saw the change to the power pools”

But Lind continues, “I take my hat off to the
I.S.C. They are doing their best to save the
game. They are trying valiantly so we really
shouldn’t be shocked at seeing major changes come.”

Lind admits he “comes late to the tournament”
since the ISC has gone to pool play. He sums up
his feelings with, “You are doing your best to
save the game – now if we could only get the owners to go along.”

Certainly not everyone agrees with the power
pools – or with round robin play in general.

“I’ve always liked double elimination better.”
Says Leo Lowe of Garretson, S. Dak., who has been
coming to the I.S.C. since Saskatoon in 1987.

“I like it, but I still like double elimination
better.” says Bruce Simpson of Alleston Ontario,
who has seen 24 World Tourneys.

Simpson adds “I don’t mind sitting here watching
good teams play and I’d rather see teams fairly
well matched than watch one team beat the bejebbers out of another.”

Guy Greenwall and Bob Goulden who played for the
Edmonton Express agree that “the power pool gives
a sense of fairness. It sets up some upset
possibilities and makes pool play more
competitive with better matchups.” Goulden
observed that, “I didn’t mind it as much as when
I first saw it. I thought it was a bad idea, but
now that I’ve seen it, I think it is better than I had expected it to be.”

The power pool concept is likely to be continued
when the 2006 edition of the ISC World Tournament
is contested in Kitchener next August.

August 19, 2005

Gordon Wise
ISC Information Director

Bret Baughman
ISC Historian and Asst. Statistician
Fax: 319-396-4247
Email: stats4u at iscfastpitch.com
Check out all the latest ISC News at:
http://www.iscfastpitch.com
The History of the ISC World Tournament can be found at:
http://www.iscfastpitch.com/webstartme/history.htm

Als Fastball List
*Email: <mailto:fastball at pmihrm.com>fastball at pmihrm.com
Website: http://www.alsfastball.com/