[Alsfastball] Express pitcher has 18-hour drive to make opener - Zack is Back!

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Mon Aug 29 18:43:12 EDT 2005

Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 10:24:36 -0600
From: "Mike Obrien" <mobrien at canadianwealth.com>
To: <fastball at pmihrm.com>
Subject: Express pitcher has 18-hour drive to make opener

Express pitcher has 18-hour drive to make opener

<mailto:ebender at lfpress.com>ERIC BENDER, Free Press Sports Reporter

Was he the starter or wasn't he?

Darren Zack, the Roger Clemens or Babe Ruth of fastball, wasn't
supposed to arrive at the Canadian men's fastball championship in St.
Thomas until today. His team this year, the Edmonton Express, wasn't
expecting him.

But when he called to say he could get to St. Thomas yesterday, the
Express thought they could start him. Still, Zack, 45, was a tad late
in arriving and wasn't sufficiently warmed up to start. He came on in
the fifth inning of Edmonton's opening-game 2-0 loss to the host St.
Thomas Evergreen Centennials.

"I was up at James Bay doing a clinic," said the big hurler from
Garden River, on a reserve near Sault Ste. Marie.

Over the years he has taught pitching on reserves around the country.
He drove 18 1/2 hours from James Bay to catch the opener in St. Thomas.

"There was supposed to be one more clinic but the last one was
cancelled so I was able to leave," Zack said with a chuckle. "The
whole community decided to pack up and go hunting."

Zack also pitched for Edmonton last year.

"Kelly Wenstrom is my catcher. He said come back next year and we'll
try to win it this time. Here I am," Zack said.

The Saskatoon Black Sox are the defending champions.

  Als Fastball List
* Email: fastball at pmihrm.com
http://www.canadians2005.ca/ Aug 28 to Sept 4
eScribe is down, and may be out