[Alsfastball] DD - Sun p2 - The Other Side of the Fence By Larry Lynch Fastpitch Veteran Kitchener, ON

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Mon Sep 5 00:24:51 EDT 2005

The Other
Side of
the Fence
By Larry Lynch
Fastpitch Veteran
Kitchener, ON

As a veteran of over 30 years in major men's fastpitch softball, or
as we in Ontario know it fastball, I have traveled many miles and
attended many parks to play, coach and observe the greatest players
in the modern game. Fastball has always been a passion for me and
like so many teammates over the years we sacrificed family time,
finances and countless hours on the road to prove week-in and
week-out that we still had the balls to compete at the highest level
of the game.
     Over the past couple years I've stepped away from the daily
grind of competition, but with the internet and more specifically Al
Doran's Fastball web site, I have never really left the game.
    While the game on the field is what really stirred my juices for
so many years, I've come to realize what the game is really all about
in semi - retirement from it. The pitcher is still King, the long
ball hitter is still the glory boy, defense is still under-rated, and
the sacrifice bunt is all but a lost art.  What I didn't realize
though, was that a hardcore legion of crusty, cagy and generally
colourful critics are really the heart and soul of every major
fastball event on the planet .
    They travel in annual pilgrimages to ball yards across North
America to be part of every major event in the softball calendar.
They line up their lawn chairs in the prime strategic locations
behind home plate and settle in for days of observation, analysis and
argument. They  follow every pitch,
they preside over every play and while they have no impact on the
field they are judge and jury of performance for  umpires, coaches
and players alike. They critique the concessions, the coldness of the
beer and they know every player on every team.  They applaud you when
you are successful - they let you know when you are not, and while
they are the greatest critics -  they are also the greatest fans.
    As I observed the "fence sitters" in Woodstock, Monkton,  Orillia
and Eau Claire, and here in St. Thomas  I was struck by the true
camaraderie and love for the game this small group brought to the
park with them. These are not locals, quite the opposite. They came
by car, by truck, by camper, by motor home, some even by air. Most
are not young in years, all are young at heart. Many had not seen
each other since the last major event of the previous year , and for
Joe Taman and Neil Fennell in Orillia, it had been much longer than
that. For those who had shared a recent event it was a recap of the
games since, for those who had been away much longer, it was
handshakes/hugs all around.
    The game has changed over the years and some say it will soon be
gone. Tell that to Dave Spring, or Earl and Mary Ann Stroh, or Gib
Balkwell, or Tim and Pat from Erie, or John T and John MacT from
Waterloo. Suggest to the "Hillside Crew" in Kimberly , or  the
"Grandstand Gang" at Royal Athletic that they've seen their last
World Tournament or Canadians. No - the game will carry on because
the heart and soul of the game still lies in every one who remembers
what it was like in their prime. Who was the pitcher to beat and who
was the batter to fear is still played out on any given weekend
across North America. It is the memories and  reminiscences of the
"fence sitters" who really keep this great game alive.
    There have been some legendary performers in fastball -  and we
all have our opinions in every era. The true legends may be the ones
who remember softball when it really was a game, and I for one,I
thank each of  you for making every trip to the park special for
those on the other side of the fence.

  Als Fastball List
* Email: fastball at pmihrm.com
http://www.canadians2005.ca/ Aug 28 to Sept 4