National League to go ahead minus Canterbury

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Tue Oct 11 07:14:12 EDT 2005

Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 20:55:12 +1300
From: Vance <vance at vanf-graphics.co.nz>
Subject: National League to go ahead minus Canterbury

National League to go ahead minus Canterbury
Tuesday October 11th 2005

New Zealand Softball officials have reacted with disappointment to
the news today that Canterbury Softball have chosen not to enter
teams in the men's and women's New Zealand Community Trust National
League competitions.

Although disappointed at the Canterbury decision, Softball New
Zealand chief executive Dale Eagar says the National League will
still go ahead, starting next month with six teams entered in the
men's league and five in the women's.

"The National League as an opportunity for the premier male and
female players throughout the country to play at the highest level
will still occur and I continue to have faith in it as a 'shop
window' for the game. The important task for us now will be to
confirm the draw this week and establish the required organisational
structures to ensure everything runs smoothly," said Eagar.

Canterbury has chosen not to enter teams in the league following
discussions with New Zealand Softball over the issue of the
equalisation of costs for competing in the four weekend long tournament.

The National League has been running since the 2002/03 season and
during that time each franchise involved has been charged a
participation fee by New Zealand Softball to cover the actual costs
of their franchise taking part.

With franchises coming from around the country the fee charged for
each entity are variable due to the costs of things such as travel,
air and land based, and accommodation. Canterbury has been seeking to
have one equal fee charged of every franchise.

Eagar says that, while equalisation is something the national body is
genuinely interested in investigating and working towards, at this
stage of the organisation for this season the board of New Zealand
Softball believed it could not be implemented.

"Equalisation of costs for participating teams was something
originally desired at the outset of the National League but was
unable to be implemented at the time because of the requirements of
the funding agencies.  It now appears that there is greater
acceptance of this and is therefore something we are working towards
for next season. While we understand Canterbury's view point the
board of New Zealand Softball don't believe they are in a position
where we could guarantee the successful implementation of
equalisation at this stage," said Eagar.

While the Canterbury franchise may not be participating the regions
players are still welcome to join the competition says Eagar. They
can do so by registering with New Zealand Softball and seeking
selection through the player draft.

By SNZ Media Liaison: Kelly Mitchell
*  mailto:kelly.mitchell at xtra.co.nz

http://www.softball.org.nz/