Defending champs looking for more success - NZ

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Wed Nov 16 06:38:35 EST 2005

Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 20:39:58 +1300
From: Vance <vance(at)vanf-graphics.co.nz>
Subject: Defending champs looking for more success

Defending champs looking for more success
Wednesday November 16th 2005

Just seven months after claiming their first New Zealand Community Trust
Men's National League title Wellington are looking to do it all again when
the competition gets underway this weekend.

Wellington coach Wayne Saunders has retained the majority of the winning
team from last year with the only alterations being the loss of NZCT Black
Sox captain Jarrad Martin to North Harbour and Corey Matakatea who is out
with injury. Joining the team are NZCT Black Sox pitcher Tane Richardson
and former Canterbury representative Todd Grego.

Given the star names amongst his squad of 14 and the high quality of
players it will be a tough ask for Saunders to cut the names down to a
starting nine but he admits it is a nice problem to have.

"It is a whole new tournament this year, I don't see it as us defending
something we are going out there to win a new one," said Saunders.

Wellington opens their campaign this weekend at Rosedale Park, North
Harbour with double headers against the home side and Central Vikings. A
key feature of the North Harbour team is the introduction of NZCT Black Sox
captain Jarrad Martin who led Wellington to the title last season.

"Any side that Jarrad is in seems to do well and I think he is going to
make a big difference to the North Harbour team. But for us it is not about
focusing on one person we want to focus more on our game and making sure we
do the little things right then the results will come at the end of the day."

Saunders is predicting a far tougher and more even national league
competition this season commenting that with no Canterbury team many of
those quality players have been spread amongst the other teams.

"I think teams like Central Vikings and Southern Pride are going to be a
lot stronger than last year and it is going to be a very tough competition
with just the cream of the crop playing, so no team can take anything for
granted," said Saunders.

In other opening round match ups this weekend last years runners up
Auckland take on Central Vikings and North Harbour as well while a
strengthened Southern Pride team host Hutt Valley at Surrey Park in
Invercargill.

Saturday November 19th

  2.00pm Auckland v North Harbour, Rosedale Park, North Harbour.
  2.00pm Central Vikings v Wellington, Rosedale Park, North Harbour.
4.00pm  Central Vikings v Auckland, Rosedale Park, North Harbour.
4.00pm  Wellington v North Harbour, Rosedale Park, North Harbour.

Sunday November 20th

10.00am Central Vikings v Wellington, Rosedale Park, North Harbour.
10.00am Auckland v North Harbour, Rosedale Park, North Harbour.
11.15am Southern Pride v Hutt Valley, Surrey Park, Invercargill.
12.00pm Wellington v North Harbour, Rosedale Park, North Harbour.
12.00pm Auckland v Central Vikings, Rosedale Park, North Harbour.
1.15pm  Southern Pride v Hutt Valley, Surrey Park, Invercargill.

By SNZ Media Liaison: Kelly Mitchell
*  mailto:kelly.mitchell(at)xtra.co.nz

http://www.softball.org.nz/
* mailto:snz(at)softball.org.nz