Auckland side hoping to get to the church on time - NZ - Women

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Wed Nov 16 06:41:26 EST 2005

Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 20:40:10 +1300
From: Vance <vance(at)vanf-graphics.co.nz>
Subject: Auckland side hoping to get to the church on time

Auckland side hoping to get to the church on time
Thursday November 17th 2005

With the first week of the New Zealand Community Trust women's National
League gets underway this weekend Auckland coach Nardi Leonard is facing
two challenges,

While preparing her team for the task of taking on Wellington and Southern
Pride Leonard is also trying ensuring everyone makes it to the softball's
wedding of the year when NZCT White Sox outfielder Kalala Faalogo marries
NZCT Black Sox world champion Roman Gabriel.

Leonard says all her team have been invited to the wedding and expects
there will be a mad rush from the diamond to the celebrations on Saturday.

"We have talked about the wedding as a team and while we all realise it is
a really big day in Auckland softball we also have a job to do out on the
diamond. Both Kalala and Roman understand that and they would expect us to
go out there and do the business," said Leonard.

Regardless of the excitement surrounding the wedding Leonard says her team
is focussed on success in the national league this season after
disappointing performances last year saw them miss out on a top four finals
spot.

"For me as a coach I was really disappointed with our effort last season
but when I analyse it I can't put my finger on any one thing that didn't go
right but it comes down to the coach.

"The hard word has been put on all my players this season and no one can
turn up and just expect to play while a lot of the team also have their own
personal goals with the world champs next year in mind," said Leonard.

Key figures in any return to form for the Auckland team this season is
going to be the performance of key players such as NZCT White Sox pitcher
Carina Hale, White Sox captain Fiona Timu and international infielder
Talilotu Tonu'u.

Auckland will play double headers against Southern Pride and Wellington
this season and on paper they look to be the stronger team and should come
away with the results Leonard is looking for.

In other first round games this weekend Wellington and Southern Pride will
also face off while defending champions Hutt Valley will begin the defence
of their title with two away games against Central Vikings at Akina Park,
Hastings.

Saturday November 19th

1.00pm  Hutt Valley  v Central Vikings, Akina Park, Hastings.
1.00pm  Auckland v Wellington, Norana Ave Ballpark, Auckland.
3.00pm  Hutt Valley v Central Vikings, Akina Park, Hastings.
3.00pm  Southern Pride  v Auckland, Norana Ave Ballpark, Auckland.
5.00pm  Wellington v Southern Pride, Norana Ave Ballpark, Auckland.

Sunday November 20th

9.00am  Wellington v Southern Pride, Norana Ave Ballpark, Auckland.
11.00am Auckland v Southern Pride, Norana Ave Ballpark, Auckland.
1.00pm  Auckland v Wellington, Norana Ave Ballpark, Auckland.

By SNZ Media Liaison: Kelly Mitchell
*  mailto:kelly.mitchell(at)xtra.co.nz

http://www.softball.org.nz/
* mailto:snz(at)softball.org.nz