Black Sox ready to right a wrong

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Tue Nov 29 08:08:12 EST 2005

Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 22:15:58 +1300
From: Vance <vance(at)vanf-graphics.co.nz>
Subject: Black Sox ready to right a wrong

Black Sox ready to right a wrong
Tuesday November 29th 2005

For the three time world champion New Zealand Community Trust Black Sox
team defeat is uncommon but that is exactly what happened when they last
played Samoa earlier this year.

It was a historic victory for Samoa back in February at the Evodrive Series
as our Pacific Island neighbours claimed their first ever win over the
world champions. Black Sox coach Eddie Kohlhase has no doubt they will be
just as tough this coming weekend in the four game series to be played in
Auckland and North Harbour.

Kohlhase says the Black Sox take pride in their successful record and no
defeat sit well with them.

"The players set themselves very high standards and expectations and this
team won't be any different. Our priority for the series is obviously to
win but we also want to grow depth in key positions moving forward and
expose some new players to international softball," said Kohlhase.

For the series Kohlhase has named a 17 man squad featuring a core of
experienced players, a couple of debutants and a number of former
internationals returning to the team.

Having named four pitchers Kohlhase says every pitcher will get to start
one game each while the remaining players in the squad will get at least
two games each in a rotation system.

"We have to play Samoa due respect, they are a team that have troubled us
in the past and the last time we played them they best us."

The Samoan team will be led on the mound by experienced pitcher Heinie
Shannon while they also play good defence and are strong with the bat.

"To have some international softball is fantastic for the game. Softball
New Zealand has put this four game series together with two things in mind
firstly to provide the Black Sox with some game time looking forward to
January and the Commonwealth Series in Australia. While secondly and more
importantly it is providing international competition with our Pacific
neighbours. The Black Sox don't get to play at home a lot and hopefully
this will become an annual fixture," said Kohlhase.

Saturday December 3rd
Norana Avenue Ballpark, Auckland.

1.00pm New Zealand v Samoa
3.00pm New Zealand v Samoa

Sunday December 4th
Rosedale Park, North Harbour.

11.00am New Zealand v Samoa
1.00pm New Zealand v Samoa

NEW ZEALAND COMMUNITY TRUST BLACK SOX TEAM TO PLAY SAMOA

Pitchers: Marty Grant (Wellington), Jarrad Martin, captain (North Harbour),
Thomas Cameron (Auckland), Tane Richardson (Wellington).

Catchers: Patrick Shannon (Auckland), Lyndon Andrew (Auckland).

Infield: Darren Davies (Canterbury), Travis Wilson (Auckland), Steven
Ratu          (Wellington), Nathan Nukunuku, vice captain (Auckland),
Michael Cameron (Auckland).

Outfield: Stacy McLean (Wellington), Thomas Makea (Wellington), Gus Leger
(Auckland), Cory Matakatea (Wellington), Fabian Makea (Wellington), Daniel
Milne (Canterbury).

By SNZ Media Liaison: Kelly Mitchell
*  mailto:kelly.mitchell at xtra.co.nz

http://www.softball.org.nz/
* mailto:snz at softball.org.nz

Cheers Vance
Softball New Zealand web master.
*   mailto:vance at vanf-graphics.co.nz

    fastball at pmihrm.com
    eScribe is down, but may be back soon escribe.com

Our New Condo: http://www.rpt.ca/hunt/ for Sale or Rent