Canada Completes Round Robin Undefeated

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Thu Dec 1 08:53:15 EST 2005

From: "Mat Gentès" <mgentes(at)softball.ca>
Subject: Canada Completes Round Robin Undefeated

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Canada Completes Round Robin Undefeated
November 30th, 2005

(Ottawa) Canada defeated Mexico 6-0 at the VI Pan American Softball
Championship,
wrapping up the round robin with a perfect six wins and no losses
record.  Canada did
not give up a run in the round robin, outscoring their opponents
40-0.  Canada begins
the playoff round tomorrow night at 9PM CST against Venezuela.

Head Coach Lori Sippel commented;” I was pleased with the players focus
going into the
final Pool game against Mexico.  Having secured the #1 seed in Pool B
yesterday may have
given reason for a let down but the team responded with a good effort
today.  Robin
Mackin threw a no hitter and every starter contributed with a hit in this
game.  Now it
is time for the part of the tournament that we came here for.  Tomorrow we
face
Venezuela which in my opinion is one of the best teams in this
Championship.  We will
definitely have our work cut out for us but I am certain the players are
ready to
respond."

Robin Mackin (Newmarket, Ontario) threw a no-hitter on her way to her
second win at the
VI Pan American Softball Championship.  Mackin recorded 13 strikeouts,
allowed five
walks, hit one batter in seven innings pitched.

Sheena Lawrick (Calgary, AB) had a double and a single, Janiva Willis
(Irsihtown, BC)
and Eric McLean both hit triples.

Canada produced all of its runs in the first three innings of the
game.  With the score
2-0 after two innings, Megan Timpf (Port Dover, ON) led off the third with
a single.
Willis then tripled down the right field line scoring Timpf.  Cindy Eadie
(Brantford,
ON) followed up with a single scoring Willis who was at third.  Erin Gee
(Vancouver, BC)
entered the game to pinch run for Eadie.  Gee made it to third on a Rachel
Schill
(Kitchener, ON) infield single, then on a throwing error, Gee was able to
score.  Kristy
Odamura (Richmond, BC) rounded out the scoring by driving in Schill with an
RBI single,
making the score 6-0 after three innings of play.

Stats
Runs; Gee, Lawrick, Freight, Timpf, Willis, Howren
1B; Timpf, Lawrick, Bradley, Eadie, Freight, Schill, Odamura
2B; Lawrick
3B; Willis, McLean
RBI's; Willis, Bradley, Eadie
SB's; Bradley,Freight
Errors; none
Pitching:
Machin(WP)
Ing; 7
Hits; 0
K's; 13
BB's; 5, + HP-1
Runs; 0
ERA; 0

Following the game, Team Canada participated in a two hour fun camp with a
group of less
fortunate Guatemalan girls aged 11 to 15 yrs old, who are involved in a
sponsorship
program by the Canadian Embassy in Guatemala.  The team was then given a
tour of the
Canadian Embassy in Guatemala.

For more information:
Ron Gallinger
Softball Canada
(613) 523-3386 ext. 3101
rgallinger(at)softball.ca

    fastball at pmihrm.com
    eScribe is down, but may be back soon escribe.com

Our New Condo: http://www.rpt.ca/hunt/ for Sale or Rent