Stockford stepping up to head role with Junior Black Sox

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Wed Dec 21 16:14:54 EST 2005

Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 09:48:46 +1300
From: Vance <vance(at)vanf-graphics.co.nz>
Subject: Stockford stepping up to head role with Junior Black Sox

Stockford stepping up to head role with Junior Black Sox
Thursday December 22nd 2005

Seasoned club and provincial coach Paul Stockford has this week been
appointed to the head coach role with the Junior Black Sox.

The position will not be entirely new to Stockford who has filled the
position of assistant coach with the junior team in recent years and was
with the team as they finished fourth at the world champs earlier this year.

"I was involved with the last Junior Black Sox campaign along with Mark
Sorenson and Dion Nukunuku and I have had an involvement with the junior
level of the game for the last four or five years.

"The position of head coach of the Junior Black Sox has been a goal for me
and something I have aspired to over the last seven or eight years," said
Stockford.

Having been appointed to the position Stockford is now looking ahead to the
next junior men's world championships which will be played in 2008 at an as
yet to be named venue.

Having been part of the Junior Black Sox campaign this year Stockford says
he has a greater appreciation of what it takes to win the world title.

"We have to strive for excellence and we need to get our players to start
their development at an earlier age and be committed to the campaign and
the final goal."

With 2008 in mind Stockford says he will be targeting and closely following
the form of players currently participating in the under 16 age grade as he
looks to name an extended training squad of 30-40 players.

While based in Levin Stockford is currently coach of the Hutt Valley men's
National League team and Hutt Valley club side Cardinals. Past coaching
roles have seen him leading the New Zealand under 16 boy's team in 2003
while he has also coached Wellington to the men's National Provincial Cup
title.

Softball is a family game for the 39-year-old coach with son Kevin and
daughter Katrina both currently representing Hutt Valley at a senior level.

By SNZ Media Liaison: Kelly Mitchell
*  mailto:kelly.mitchell(at)xtra.co.nz

http://www.softball.org.nz/
* mailto:snz(at)softball.org.nz

Cheers Vance
Softball New Zealand web master.
*   mailto:vance(at)vanf-graphics.co.nz

    fastball at pmihrm.com
    eScribe is down, but may be back soon escribe.com

Our New Condo: http://www.rpt.ca/hunt/ for Sale or Rent