Home side has high expectations at men's NPC - NZ

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Wed Jan 4 06:21:32 EST 2006

Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 17:57:29 +1300
From: Vance <vance at vanf-graphics.co.nz>
Subject: Home side has high expectations at men's NPC

Home side has high expectations at men's NPC
Wednesday January 4th 2006

Despite the fact Manawatu have never entered the New Zealand Community
Trust Men’s National Provincial Cup before that does not mean they won’t be
aiming for the title when the tournament starts in Palmerston North on
January 7th.

Manawatu go into the NPC tournament as the home team and the bottom seeds
but they are not daunted by the task ahead of them. Team manager Graeme
Love is adamant that Manawatu won’t be there to just to make up the numbers.

“Any time we enter a tournament we are looking to take it out, we will take
each game one at a time. Our aim is to win every game and eventually the
tournament,” said Love.

As they compete for the title Love believes one of his side’s strengths
will be the combinations the players have worked on over recent seasons
playing locally in Manawatu.

“The bulk of the players in our squad are Manawatu players who have been
playing together for a long time so they know how each other plays. We are
also on home territory so that is an added bonus.”

The NPC tournament which runs from January 7th – 10th is seen as one of
development for New Zealand Softball and because of that the main men’s
softball associations - Wellington, Canterbury, Hutt Valley, North Harbour
and Auckland, are restricted to selecting players who are either under the
age of 23 or were not protected players in the NZCT National League
competition. All teams outside the main five have no restrictions on their
selections.

Wellington are the defending champions and they are taking a strong side to
Palmerston North to defend the title. With pitching depth on the mound,
current international Corey Matakatea in the outfield and a host of
seasoned club and provincial softball campaigners backing them up
Wellington will be tough to beat.

Others sides expected to be strong include Hutt Valley who have new Black
Sox pitcher Jeremy Manley on the mound. Auckland has a string of former
Junior Black Sox players such as Jonathan Munden and Bernard Hale to call
on. While Canterbury who are making their debut at the NPC also have a
formidable line up including current NZCT Black Sox internationals Darren
Davies and Daniel Milne.

Teams

Auckland – Jonathan Munden, Carlos TeKawa, Bernard Hale, Des Pemerika,
Michael Niu, Josh Niu, Takik Apu, Jake Tahu, Thomas Katene, Bobby King,
Gordon Hooper, Walter Hati.
Coach – Tom Huta.

Canterbury – Lewis Acker, Jared Welsh, Penese Iosefo, Clayton Ellis, Errol
Byrne, Darren Davies, Paul Delatour, Michael Sands, Gareth Cook, Phil
Bayne, Daniel Milne, Scott Dale, Jamie Frisby, Brad Annandale, Phil Mountford.
Coach Ted Forrester.

Hawkes Bay – Reagan Manley, Grant Dean, Hone Mark-Sinnot, Joe O’Leary, Luke
Herrick, Darryl Tamati, Kyle Vanable, Josh Paul, Mario Herbert, Jovaan Hanley.
Coach – Ken Harris.

Hutt Valley – Jeremy Manley, Curtis Ames, Kevin Stockford, Tyson Byrne,
Patrick Humphries, David Butler, Corey Karaitianga, Aaron Byrne, Jerol
Lajpold, Jonas Mach, Justin Karaitianga, Rakai Hokianga, Charlie
Poutaka-Reid, Kango Terui.
Coach – Lawrence Allen.

Manawatu – Casey Butler, Adrian Dyason, Grant Christian, Daniel Hita,
Kuniaki Shibahara, George Wallace, Wayne Norman, Jason Taiaroa, Jason
Temera, Anthony Olhsen, Kensuke Kawamura, Davin Harlen.
Coach – Darren Reid.

Otago – Mark Edmunds, Scott Cartwright, Tim Howard, Bevan Passmore, Daniel
Tarapi, Wayne Sangster, Steven Todd, Chris Anderson, Peter Mathieson, Greg
Egerton, Jason Teau, Bevan Campbell.
Player / Coach – John Scholten.

Rotorua – Shane Hunuhunu, Kelly Winsor, George Jolley, Jason Gerbes, Laurie
Winiata, Santiago Lataire, Billy-John Hohepa, Eric Short, Pirikawana, Quinn
McDonald, Steven Moore, Vaughan McGregor, Nick Wiki, Rueben Perenara,
Victor Reihana, Neville Jolley, Vaughan Grey.
Coach – Vince Taylor.

Wellington – Craig Gibson, Paul Luka, Steven McFarlane, Steven Manson,
Damien Lord, Lance Abbot, Shane Doherty, Geoffrey Farnsworth, Dave Bishop,
Corey Matakatea, Hazley Martin, Wayne Walker, Brett Tibbits, Shaun
Jamieson, Les Poutama.
Coach – Ray Timu.

By SNZ Media Liaison: Kelly Mitchell
*  mailto:kelly.mitchell(at)xtra.co.nz

http://www.softball.org.nz/
* mailto:snz(at)softball.org.nz

Cheers Vance
Softball New Zealand web master.
*   mailto:vance(at)vanf-graphics.co.nz

    fastball at pmihrm.com
    eScribe is down, but may be back soon escribe.com

Our New Condo: http://www.rpt.ca/hunt/ for Sale or Rent