Softball fails to regain admission to the 2012 Olympic Games in London

fastball fastball at pmihrm.com
Thu Feb 9 12:31:16 EST 2006

From:  "Rick Picard" <rpicard(at)softball.ca>
Subject:  Softball fails to regain admission to the 2012 Olympic
Games in London

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

February 9, 2006

Softball fails to regain admission to the 2012 Olympic Games
in London

(Ottawa) – Softball's bid for reinstatement in the 2012 Olympic
Games in London was rejected by the International Olympic Committee
(IOC).

Softball needed support from at least 50 + 1 percent of the IOC
members before reinstatement could go to a secret ballot.  Members
voted 47-43 against the reconsideration sustaining the decision
to exclude the sport for the 2012 Olympics.

"We are certainly disappointed with today's vote" said Kevin
Quinn, President of Softball Canada.  "Women's softball has proven
to be a winner at the Olympics in terms of television, attendance
and athletic performance.  We are still looking forward to an
outstanding Canadian performance at the 2008 Olympics."

The 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing will set the stage for the
push to have softball included in the 2016 Olympic Games.  "We
will work closely with the [ISF]," IOC President Jacques Rogge
said.  "We will work with them at the Olympic Games in Beijing
and see if there is a chance to come back in the program."  A
vote on the sports to be included in 2016 Olympic Games will
be held in 2009.

While the sport of softball continues to be a popular sport among
young Canadian athletes with approximately 300,000 players, the
future of the sport will be looked after through key strategies
and a self sustainability program.  "Softball Canada has been
actively introducing new programming such as our Parmalat Learn
to Play Program aimed at players 6-10 years of age and our Long
Term Athlete Development Model" CEO of Softball Canada, Hugh
Mitchener said.  "We are working with our member organizations
to ensure that innovative programming and financial partnership
plans will provide future opportunities for Canadians of all
ages to enjoy softball."

Softball was included as a medal sport in the 1996 Atlanta Olympics
and set records in attendance in the 2000 Olympic Games in Sydney,
Australia.  The IOC was considering golf, rugby, squash, karate
or roller sports as a replacement all of which were also rejected
in Singapore in July of 2005.

-30-

Rick Picard
Director, Marketing & Communications