Day 5 of Canada Cup Action

fastball fastball at pmihrm.com
Thu Jul 6 07:55:17 EDT 2006

From:  "Rick Picard" <rpicard(at)softball.ca>

Subject:  Day 5 of Canada Cup Action

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

July 06, 2006

Day 5 of Canada Cup Action

(Surrey, BC) - In day 5 of Canada Cup action, Canada picked up
where they left off scoring an important win against Puerto Rico.

Canada set the tone early as Kristy Odamura (Richmond, BC) stole
3 consecutive bases to give Canada a one run lead.  Sheena Lawrick
(Calgary, AB) capped of the inning driving in Melanie Matthews
(Surrey, BC) to give Canada a 2-0 lead in the opening inning
of the ball game.

Canada continued to increase their lead exploding in the second
and third inning on a notable Matthews two run homerun in straight
away center field and a triple by Katie Hnatyk (London, ON) scoring
3 additional runs for Canada.  "We knew what we had to do" said
Matthews. "We all showed up ready to play, it was just a matter
of getting it done."

Hnatyk's three run triple came during her first at bat of the
tournament.  "It was exciting, the coaches prepared me well.
 I wanted to be aggressive and didn't want to get behind in the
count early.  I felt my team-mates behind me and that gave me
the confidence that I needed."

Danielle Lawrie (Langley, BC) got the start in the circle for
Canada and was perfect in her three innings of work including
5 strikeouts helping Canada to a 10-0 win.  The game was called
after three innings on account of the "run rule".

"We had great back-to-back pitching yesterday and today" stated
Lori Sippel, Head Coach of the Senior Women's National Team.
 "Our batting is coming alive our goal was to score in every
inning.  We wanted to put forth an effort to make sure we are
at the top of our game."

After holding the opponents scoreless in the last 16 consecutive
innings, Canada looks to close out round robin play at the Canada
Cup against the Colorado Triple Crown and the Chinese Taipei.
 For complete statistical information please visit www.softball.ca.

In other Canada Cup action, the Canadian Elite Team was edged
by China by a score of 8-6 in extra innings.

Canada Elite jumped to an early lead off of a Megan MacKenzie
(North Delta, BC) two run double followed by an Erin Gee (Burnaby,
BC) single scoring Alisia Narodowski (Vancouver, BC).  Jennifer
Yee (North Delta, BC) increased Canada's lead driving in Megan
Timpf (Port Dover, ON) giving Canada a 3 run lead in the top
of the third.

China frustrated Canadian starter Ashley Lanz (Winnipeg, MB)
in the third, adding to their only run, scored in the second,
to cut Canada's lead to only 1 run.  Katie Rosentreter (Winnipeg,
MB) came in to relieve Lanz in the fourth and held China from
tying the game until the seventh inning.

After giving up the tying run, Sarah Belanger (Winnipeg, MB)
came in to relieve Rosentreter.  Belanger closed out the inning
and forced extra time.  Subsequent to trading runs with China
in the eighth, Lanz returned to the circle for Canada and gave
up a game ending three run homerun to China.

With the loss, Canada Elite's record falls to 4 wins and 2 losses
and remains at second place in the standings.  For complete statistical
information, please visit www.softball.ca.

-30-

For more information, please contact:

Rick Picard

Director, Marketing and Communications

Softball Canada

rpicard at softball.ca

(613)-558-4663 (Cell)

   fastball at pmihrm.com

2006 ISC World Tournament - Kitchener, Ontario
http://www.iscfastpitch.com/