Ward to become softball's most capped player - women

fastball fastball at pmihrm.com
Thu Jul 6 23:00:47 EDT 2006

From:  "DiAnne Lilburn" <dianne.lilburn(at)softball.org.au>

Subject:  Ward to become softball's most capped player

Media Release

Ward to become softball’s most capped player

Australia’sshort-stop and co-captain Natalie Ward will break
Australia’srecord for most game appearances when Australia takes
on China intoday’s 2006 Canada Cup.

It will be Ward’s 357 gamefor Australia, surpassingformer Australian
great Sally McCreedy who set the record of 356 in 2002,during
the Canada Cup.

The 30 year old from New South Wales made her debut during the
Japan Test Seriesin 1994 and is passionate about the game saying
“it makes me proud to beable to represent my country at the highest
level, but I don’t see itabout the number of games I’ve played,
but about the opportunitiesI’ve had in a game that I love.”

The three-time Olympic medallist has made a major contributionto
the game, playing a vital role in the successes of the Australian
OpenWomen’s softball team, Aussie Spirit, since her international
debut,playing in three International Softball Federation’s Women’s
WorldChampionships (1994, 1998, 2000).

Dubbed the glamour girl of softball, Ward is a fantasticrole
model for up coming athletes, bringing a strong determination
to succeedand never shying away from opposition players or tough
situations in a game.

Head Coach Fabian Barlow said that Ward is the type ofplayer
that is more focused on the team’s performance than her own,
butbeing such a quality player awards come her way. “Nat rises
to thepressures of the game and is one of the best players I
have seen in tightsituations. She will often make the play or
get that final hit to help Australia over theline.”

Ward started playing at age of 10 and is the finestshort-stop
Australia hasproduced.

AVAILABLE FOR INTERVIEW

Natalie Ward, AustralianOpen Women’s player

____________________________________

DiAnne Lilburn

National Communications Coordinator

SoftballAustralia

Suite 4, Ground Floor

38-40 Prospect Street

Box Hill, Victoria 3128

T: +61 3 9890 8200

F: +61 3 9890 8295

M: +61 (0) 405 509 674

Formore information visit www.softball.org.au

Didyou know that Australia is the world's number onesoftball
nation?
World number two - Open Women's team(Aussie Spirit), Silver Medallist
(Athens, 2004), BronzeMedallists (Sydney 2000 and Atlanta 1996).

World number one - Under 19 Men's team(Aussie Colts), three consecutive
World Championship titles.
World number three - Open Men's team(Aussie Steelers) and Under
19 Women's team (Aussie Pride).

   fastball at pmihrm.com

2006 ISC World Tournament - Kitchener, Ontario
http://www.iscfastpitch.com/