Canada Moves On To Semi-Finals at Canada Cup

fastball fastball at pmihrm.com
Sun Jul 9 08:03:17 EDT 2006

From:  "Rick Picard" <rpicard(at)softball.ca>

Subject:  Canada Moves On To Semi-Finals at Canada Cup

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

July 8, 2006

Canada Moves On To Semi-Finals at Canada Cup

(Surrey, ON) - The Senior Women's National Team defeated Japan
Elite in late Canada Cup action on Saturday July 8th, 2006 by
a score of 2-0

Melanie Matthews (Surrey, BC), who has been outstanding for Canada
in the tournament, slugged a game-winning lead off homerun in
the first inning of the ball game.  Canada's only other run came
at the hands of a Sheena Lawrick (Calgary, AB) one run double
giving Canada a 2-0 lead in the seventh.

Kaila Holtz (North Vancouver, BC) set the tone of the game retiring
the side in the first inning striking 2 of the first 3 batters.
 Danielle Lawrie (Langley, BC) was credited with the win relieving
Holtz in the fourth.  Backed by solid defense the Canadian pitchers
held Japan Elite to no runs and only 3 hits throughout the game.

Canada was perfect on the day winning all 3 games of sudden death
playoff action.  "We knew that we needed to get three done today"
said Lori Sippel, Senior Women's National Team Head Coach.  "We
took the games in segments and focused on winning each segment
rather than the whole.  We played with the attitude where we
felt we needed to earn the right to play one more game here in
Canada.  It is rare that we have a chance to play here and this
has been our motivation throughout the day.  In the end, it came
down to great pitching and great defense.  We need to come back
strong and be ready to play on Sunday."

Canada will face the Netherlands in semi-final action on Sunday,
July 9th at 1:30 pm at Softball City.  The winner of the semi-final
game will face Australia, who is undefeated in the tournament,
for the championship.

-30-

For more information, please contact:

Rick Picard

Director, Marketing and Communications

Softball Canada

rpicard at softball.ca

(613) 558-4663 (Cell)

   fastball at pmihrm.com

2006 ISC World Tournament - Kitchener, Ontario
http://www.iscfastpitch.com/