Canada earns a Championship Game berth - women

fastball fastball at pmihrm.com
Sun Jul 9 23:43:33 EDT 2006

From:  "Rick Picard" <rpicard(at)softball.ca>

Subject:  Canada earns a Championship Game berth

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

July 09, 2006

Canada earns a Championship Game berth

(Surrey, BC) - Canada defeated the Netherlands 8-1 in semi-final
Canada Cup action to earn a Championship game berth.

After losing to the Netherlands in round robin play dropping
7 runs in the first inning, Canada was hoping for different results
as the faced the Netherlands in the semi-final game.

After struggling through the opening first half of the first
inning and facing a 1 run deficit, Canada showcased why they
earned the right to play in the semis scoring 4 runs, with 2
out, in the bottom of the inning.  Canada posted another 2 out
rally in the fourth and fifth to string together another 4 unanswered
runs.  Sheena Lawrick (Calgary, AB) put an end to the ball game,
due to the "run rule", on a 2 run single in the fifth to give
Canada an 8-1 lead in the fifth.

"We were excited to play in the semi finals" exclaimed Lawrick.
 "It is very special to be in such a game here at home in the
Canada Cup.  To us, it wasn't important who we played more simply,
how we played."

Canada's defense continued to be spectacular with a notable unassisted
double play from Lawrick, in the fourth, fielding a line drive
then diving back to first to retire the runner and end the inning.
 Kaila Holtz (North Vancouver, BC) received the start in the
circle for Canada throwing a solid three and one third innings
and allowing only 1 run and 4 hits.  Danielle Lawrie (Langley,
BC) continued to frustrate the opposition's offence picking up
the win for Canada giving up only 1 hit.

Canada will face Australia in the Canada Cup finals at 6:30 on
Sunday July 9th.  "Any time we play Australia it is fun and exciting"
stated Lawrick.  "They are a great team and they will definitely
help us get better as we prepare of Beijing.  These are the kinds
of teams we want to play in these types of games."

On Monday, the Senior Women's National Team will relocate to
Oklahoma to compete in the World Cup.  For complete statistical
information, please visit www.softball.ca

-30-

For more information, please contact

Rick Picard

Director, Marketing and Communications

Softball Canada

rpicard at softball.ca

(613) 558-4663 (Cell)

   fastball at pmihrm.com

2006 ISC World Tournament - Kitchener, Ontario
http://www.iscfastpitch.com/