Canada drops World Cup opener to Japan - women

fastball fastball at pmihrm.com
Fri Jul 14 07:25:28 EDT 2006

From:  "rpcard" <rpicard(at)softball.ca>

Subject:  Canada drops World Cup opener to Japan

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 14th, 2006

Canada drops World Cup opener to Japan

(Ottawa, ON) – In opening day of World Cup action Canada fell
to Japan, the defending
World Cup Champions, by a score of 2-1 in Oklahoma City, Okla.

Danielle Lawrie (Langley, BC) picked up the loss for Canada giving
up 2 runs on 4hits in
five and one third innings of work. Robin Mackin (Newmarket,
ON) came in to relieve
Lawrie in the fifth and shut down the Japanese offense not allowing
a hit for the
remainder of the game. Despite holding Japan to only 4 hits,
Japan earned the win
helped by a wild pitch that allowed the winning run to score
in the fifth inning.

Canada’s Alison Bradley (Pinkerton, ON) sparked some life in
the Canada offense scoring
Melanie Matthews late in the sixth inning and cutting the Japan
lead to only 1 run.
Their rally was cut short as the next 2 batters lined out to
end the inning.

“We were in the game from the very first pitch and throughout
the entire game,” stated
Lori Sippel, Head Coach of the Senior Women’s National Team.
“The difference was that
we had a few opportunities that we were not able to work to our
advantage. Danielle and
Robin came out and both of them threw well combining for a 4
hitter and keeping the
Japanese batters off balance throughout the game.”

Canada will face the USA in day 2 of World Cup action. The game
will be televised live
on ESPN2 at 7:30 Eastern Standard Time. For complete statistical
information, please
visit www.softball.ca

For more information, please contact:

Rick Picard
Director, Marketing and Communications
Softball Canada
rpicard at softball.ca

   fastball at pmihrm.com

2006 ISC World Tournament - Kitchener, Ontario
http://www.iscfastpitch.com/