USA defeats rival Japan 11-0

fastball fastball at pmihrm.com
Sun Jul 16 20:12:02 EDT 2006

From:  "Holly Krivokapich" <hollyk(at)softball.org>

Subject:  USA defeats rival Japan 11-0

USAdefeats rival Japan11-0

OKLAHOMA CITY, Okla.--- The much anticipated rematch between
the USAand the defending champions of the first World Cup of
Softball, ended in a lopsidedloss for Japan as the USA scored
11 runs to record its fourth run rule victoryof the II World
Cup of Softball presented byFrosted Flakes.

Natasha Watley (Irvine, Calif.) started the USAoff with a single
to shortstop, followed by Jessica Mendoza (Camarillo, Calif.who
singled down the right field line. Crystl Bustos (Canyon Country,
Calif.) stepped to the plate and launched her second homerun
of the World Cup over the left field fence to give the U.S. a
quick 3-0 lead.

Alicia Hollowell (Suisun, Calif.) held the Japan offense to just
four hits infive innings to record a shutout of her own. Only
recording one strikeout inthe game, Hollowell relied on her defense
to shut down the powerful bats from Japan

“International play is always a lot different and it was reallyexciting
to go out their and face Japan,” said Hollowell. “I didn’t feel
a lot of pressure because we have such a greatoffense that scored
early so I got to go out there and show what I coulddo.”

The top of the fourth was another offensive rally for the USA.
Laura Berg (Santa Fe Springs, Calif.started the inning off with
a single through the left side, followed by CaitlinLowe (Tustin,
Calif.) who singled to centerfield. Watleycleared the bases with
her third triple of the tournament to increase the leadto 5-0.

Mendoza’sstellar hitting performance at the II World Cup of Softball
continued as she crusheda home run over the centerfield fence
that landed about 275 feet to score two. Stacey Nuveman (La Verne,
Calif.continued the rally hitting a single to centerfield and
scored on the thirdhome run of the game when Tairia Flowers (Tucson
Ariz.) slammed a two run home runover the left field fence to
push their lead to 9-0.

A pitching change in the top of the fifth did not stop the offensivepressure
from the USA. Berg started the inning off with a single to right
center followed by anothersingle from Watley.  Mendozaadded to
her hit count with a single to right center that scored Berg.
 Anotherrun would cross the plate as Bustos hit a sac fly to
left field scoringWatley.

Hollowell closed the game by retiring the side in the fifth to
five Japanits first loss of the World Cup and head coach Mike
Candrea his 102ndinternational win.

Both of these teams will play in the championship game tomorrow
July 17at 8:00 p.m.

Holly Krivokapich

Assistant Director of Communications

ASA/USA Softball

405-425-3431

www.asasoftball.comwww.usasoftball.com

   fastball at pmihrm.com

2006 ISC World Tournament - Kitchener, Ontario
http://www.iscfastpitch.com/