Softball Ontario encourages Teachers and Students to Try Softball!

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Thu Aug 24 14:21:20 EDT 2006

From: "Lisa Crompton" <lcrompton at softballontario.ca>

Subject: Softball Ontario encourages Teachers and Students to
Try Softball!

SOFTBALL ONTARIO ENCOURAGES TEACHERS AND STUDENTS TO TRY SOFTBALL!

NORTH YORK, ON – Many teachers are looking for a great way to
fulfill the Ontario Government’s Healthy Schools Program requirement
of 20 minutes of physical activity per day for their students.
 Softball Ontario can help!  In an effort to introduce new children
to our sport, Softball Ontario is making BlastBall Kits available
to schools FREE.  The kits are available to all elementary schools
in the province for one month at no charge.

Iain Craig, a teacher from The Prince Charles School in Napanee
raved about Softball Ontario’s TRY SOFTBALL program, “I have
never had such an easy time introducing softball to a class of
Grade Ones.”  From Centennial Hylands Elementary School in Shelburne,
teacher Carrie Zamora says the TRY SOFTBALL program is, “Awesome!
What a great game!”, while Karen Chelebovec from St. Margaret
School in Thunder Bay agrees as well, “We had a real ‘blast’
playing BlastBall – the kids asked to play it every day.  Thank
you!”

What is BlastBall?  The game of BlastBall is similar to T-Ball,
however it is more exciting and physically active for the participants.
 Teachers will receive a free BlastBall Manual with each Kit,
which contains the rules of BlastBall as well as many modifications
of the game; the manual is given to the school to keep and use
in their future classes.  To address any concerns, all of the
equipment is manufactured using child-safe materials; the bat
and ball are made of a soft foam material, removing safety concerns
that are created by aluminum bats and hard balls.  There are
no equipment requirements for the students, as baseball gloves
are not required to participate in the game.

Also included in the BlastBall Kit is the Learn to Play Level
1 Manual.  Learn to Play is a revolutionary way of introducing
the sport of softball to children.  The program activities foster
the development of ALL players, including players with high and
low skill levels.  Activities and lead-up games are patterned
after informal playground games that promise FUN and LOTS OF
ACTION.  This fantastic resource is given to the school to keep
as a thank-you for participating in our program.

There is no cost involved in participating in our TRY SOFTBALL
program, other than the cost of shipping the Kit back to Softball
Ontario.  The only requirement is that each teacher who used
the BlastBall Kit fill out our Feedback Questionnaire upon completion
of the school’s scheduled time period.  A thank-you gift will
be sent to each teacher who fills out the form.

Softball Ontario is now arranging for schools to book their BlastBall
Kits for the 2006-2007 school year.  The Kits are available on
a first-come - first-served basis; teachers, principals, and
parent groups are advised to contact us as soon as possible to
book their month.

For further details on Softball Ontario’s TRY SOFTBALL program
or to borrow a BlastBall Kit for your school, please contact
Lisa Crompton by phone at (416) 426-7150 or by email at lcrompton at softballontario.ca.

-30-

Softball Ontario is the governing body for the sport of softball
in Ontario.  Our goal is to promote and develop the sport of
softball for its athletes, officials and volunteers by providing
programs and services at all levels of competitions.  Softball
Ontario’s Participation Program receives its funding from The
Ontario Trillium Foundation.

FOR MORE INFORMAITON, CONTACT:

Lisa Crompton
Participation Program Coordinator