Canada Defeats Great Britain 5-1 - ISF women

Al's Fastball News fastball at pmihrm.com
Mon Aug 28 11:31:15 EDT 2006

From:  <fanzone(at)softball.ca>

Subject:  Canada Defeats Great Britain 5-1

Fan Zone subscription Message
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 28, 2006

Canada Defeats Great Britain 5-1

(Ottawa, ON) - Canada improved their record to 2 wins on Monday,
August 28, 2006 as they defeated Great Britain 5-1 at the XI
ISF World Championships in Beijing China.

After being held scoreless for three innings, Sheena Lawrick
(Calgary, AB) kick started the Canadian offense with a lead off
solo homerun in the bottom of the fourth. Canada upped its lead
to 2-0 when Jennifer Salling (Port Coquitlam, BC) doubled to
drive in Angela Lichty (Guelph, ON) who reached on an error.

In the fifth inning Melanie Matthews (Surrey, BC) tripled and
was driven in by a Kristy Odamura (Richmond, BC) single. Canada
added two insurance runs in the sixth inning giving them a 5-0
lead.

Lauren Bay (Trail, BC) received the start for Canada in the circle.
In four innings of work Bay struck out seven Great Britain batters
and did not allow a single hit. "It was a great game for us"
stated Bay. "Our defense was solid and our offense was able to
get the key hits when we needed them the most. We were able to
set the tone early and control the game from the very first pitch."

Danielle Lawrie (Langley, BC) came in to relieve Bay in the fifth
inning and gave up the only Great Britain run early in the seventh
inning. Robin Mackin (Newmarket, ON) closed out the game for
Canada. Bay was credited with the win.

After putting together 15 hits against New Zealand, Canada followed
with a strong 12 hits against Great Britain to earn their second
victory. Melanie Matthews continued to be dominant at the plate
going 3 for 4 with 1 RBI bringing her average to 0.875 in the
tournament.

"After 2 days, we've played 2 games and we've won 2 games" stated
Lori Sippel, Senior Women's National Team Head Coach. "The way
Canada needs to take care of business is to mind our business
and take care of what we can. Tomorrow we face the number 1 ranked
USA, we are familiar with them and they are a very good team.
We need to stay within ourselves and trust our preparation."

For complete statistical information, please visit www.softball.ca.
For more information on the XI ISF World Championships being
held in Beijing China, please visit www.2006softball.org.

-SC-

For more information, please contact

Rick Picard