AOL 9.0 Slapped with 'Badware' Label

Al's Fastball News fastball at pmihrm.com
Tue Aug 29 16:16:00 EDT 2006

The high-powered StopBadware.org coalition has slapped a "badware"
label on the free version of the AOL 9.0 software program.

The group, which is funded by Google, Lenovo Group and Sun Microsystems,
accused AOL of installing additional software without telling
the user; adding components to the browser and taskbar without
disclosure; automatically updating software without user consent;
and making the AOL 9.0 software difficult to fully uninstall.

"We currently recommend that users do not install the version
of AOL software that we tested," according to a report released
Aug. 28 by StopBadware.org.

The recommendation is a serious blow to AOL, which is already
struggling with user privacy problems related to the recent disclosure
of search data of more than 650,000 users.

The report said the AOL 9.0 software comes bundled with a number
of additional applications, including RealNetworks' RealPlayer,
Apple Computer's QuickTime, AOL You've Got Pictures Screensaver,
Pure Networks' Port Magic, and Viewpoint Media Player

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2009353,00.asp?kc=EWNAVEMNL082906EOAD

   fastball at pmihrm.com